Research Intensive Committee (RIC)
The APLU Board of Directors established the Committee of Research Intensive Public Universities (RIC) in June 2013 to advise the association on issues and concerns of particular interest to research intensive public universities. Advice from the RIC augments the activities that APLU undertakes such as lobbying for federal research funding, indirect cost recovery, public access for publications, and commercialization of technology.
The RIC is composed of individual chancellors and presidents; it is not a committee of institutions. The presidents/chancellors on the committee are from research intensive public universities. The APLU Executive Committee, with the advice of the President of APLU, determines the membership of the committee.
The committee has a chair and a vice chair, who each serve two-year terms. The committee is composed of 14 presidents/chancellors who serve staggered two-year terms with a possible two year renewal. In addition to the RIC membership, the ex officio members are the Chair of the APLU board, the immediate past Chair of APLU board, the Chair of APLU Council of Research (research vice presidents), and the Chair of the APLU Council of Academic Affairs (provosts).
The RIC is an advisory committee, not an operational one. The committee’s advice on a problem does not replace seeking advice from the full membership as appropriate.
The committee meets twice a year in connection with meetings of the Council of Presidents, once in the summer and once at the APLU Annual Meeting.
APLU Staff to contact for more information
- Carol Folt, Chancellor, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Chair)
- Samuel Stanley, President, Stony Brook University (Vice Chair)
- Eric Barron, President, The Pennsylvania State University
- Michael Crow, President, Arizona State University
- Tony Frank, President, Colorado State and System
- W. Kent Fuchs, President, University of Florida
- Judy Genshaft, President, University of South Florida
- Susan Herbst, President, University of Connecticut
- Jere Morehead, President, University of Georgia
- Michael H. Schill, President, University of Oregon
- Lou Anna Simon, President, Michigan State University
- Satish Tripathi, President, University at Buffalo, SUNY
Ex-officio members of RIC because of their position are:
- Teresa Sullivan, President, University of Virginia, Chair of the APLU Board of Directors
- Bernadette Gray-Little, Chancellor, University of Kansas, Immediate Past Chair of the APLU Board of Directors
- Karen Hanson, Executive Vice President and Provost, University of Minnesota, Designated representative of the APLU Council of Academic Affairs (provosts)
- Sethuraman (Panch) Panchanathan, Executive Vice President and Chief Research and Innovation Officer of Knowledge Enterprise Development, Arizona State University, Chair of the APLU Council of Research (vice presidents of research)