Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Dean, Texas Tech University Costa Rica (TTU-CR)
Located in San Jose, Costa Rica
Texas Tech University (Texas Tech or TTU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Academic Dean of the new Texas Tech University Costa Rica (TTU-CR) instructional site in San José, Costa Rica.
Reporting to the Provost of Texas Tech University, the Dean will serve as the principal academic administrator for TTU-CR. Responsibilities encompass the continued development, supervision, and day-to-day operation of TTU-CR in accordance with established guidelines, governmental regulations, and the mission of Texas Tech University. The Dean will oversee the coordination of academic programs and student services/support offerings and ensure that all necessary accreditation and compliance requirements are addressed through liaisons with all relevant offices (including but not limited to pertinent TTU college and academic department leadership, vice provosts, the provost, and the chief financial officer) who oversee planning and assessment, information technology, university programs and student success, student affairs, academic affairs, online/distance education, and the University Libraries.
The Dean will reside in San José, Costa Rica, and serve as the official representative of TTU-CR at meetings and functions of various types within Costa Rica, other countries, and the United States, including quarterly Steering Committee Meetings, as required. The Dean will serve as the executive point of contact at TTU-CR for all TTU offices engaged in the TTU-CR instructional site to ensure that project implementation proceeds in accord with the contract established between TTU and its partner in Costa Rica (Edulink).
The Dean will foster an atmosphere of growing excellence in research and scholarship; support and focus on the growth and success of TTU-CR, its faculty, staff, and students; and support our Costa Rican partners and internal and external stakeholders in creating a strong, cohesive TTU-CR instructional site committed to personalized instruction, attention to students, and support of faculty and staff.
The Dean must be a forward-thinking, strategic leader who embraces international education and research in disciplines offered at TTU-CR. Critical to the success of the Dean will be the ability to harness the strengths of the new instructional site to provide forward momentum and to strive for excellence in all areas of TTU-CR's mission, including learning, research and engagement. successful candidate will have an earned doctorate or terminal degree in discipline of study along with a record of scholarly activity that merits an appointment as a tenured professor at Texas Tech University, including a record of distinguished scholarship, funded research, and external stakeholder engagement. A keen understanding and appreciation of the academic, research, student service, and outreach missions of a Carnegie Doctoral – Highest Research Activity (R1) University and visionary leadership for international education are essential.
Qualification and Experience
Preferred qualifications for the candidate will be evaluated on the following criteria:
· Leadership and entrepreneurial spirit along with a demonstrated ability to stimulate the new instructional site enterprises.
· A history of promoting interdisciplinary collaborations transparently across an institution or institute and with external partners.
· The ability to effectively advocate for, and expand and manage the resources of the instructional site.
· The ability to govern fiscal responsibilities including developing and managing a significant operating budget.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills coupled with substantial administrative experience in fiscal and personnel management.
· A record of accomplishment of scholarly activity commensurate with a tenured professor within the university.
· Effective leadership responsibility along with the ability to articulate a compelling vision and plan for the advancement of TTU-CR.
· An understanding and ability to fundraise along with a willingness to engage in development activities.
· A record of and commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in the broadest sense within the instructional site.
· The ability to build effective partnerships with units across TTU to ensure efficient and effective communication and implementation of policies and processes.
· The ability to support continued accreditation efforts.
· Work with other TTU colleges to develop undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs for TTU-CR.
· The ability to craft timely and effective progress reports and presentations (as appropriate) to keep senior TTU administrators apprised of progress or impediments.
· A working knowledge of Spanish is strongly preferred
· A demonstrated record of experience working with diverse communities, and
· A clear understanding of online (synchronous and asynchronous) education.
Texas Tech University Costa Rica (TTU-CR)
Texas Tech University at Costa Rica (TTU-CR), is TTU's inaugural international instructional site. It will offer high-quality academic undergraduate and certificate programs aligned with strategic development goals of Costa Rica and the Central American region, through an alliance with Edulink, a subsidiary of the Promerica Group. With approval from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges, TTU-CR will offer students in Central America an opportunity to earn credits necessary for undergraduate degrees. Beginning Fall 2018, TTU-CR will offer B.S. programs in electrical engineering, industrial engineering, mathematics, computer science, and restaurant, hotel and institutional management. The primary student target population is qualified Costa Rican and Central American students who meet TTU admission requirements and English language fluency standards as all courses will be taught in English.
Texas Tech University
Established in 1923, Texas Tech is a public, Carnegie R1 research-intensive university; the University enrolls over 36,000 students and offers more than 150 bachelors, 100 masters, and 60 doctoral degree programs across its main campus, its eLearning online courses, and its seven in-state regional teaching sites, and the Texas Tech Center and Llano River Field Station at Junction. Encompassing 10 academic colleges, a Graduate School, and a School of Law, Texas Tech University is the largest institution and the flagship of the Texas Tech University System whose endowment is over $1 billion. The System also operates a medical school, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, which is located adjacent to Texas Tech's general academic campus and offers many joint degree programs and opportunities for research partnerships. Texas Tech University is on track, as one of 10 Carnegie R1 institutions, to be designated an Hispanic Serving Institution in the fall of 2019, and is a member of Big 12 athletic conference with 17 teams in 11 varsity sports.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.
Review of Applications will begin on October 1.