The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) seeks a Public Affairs Associate to assist with social media, graphic design, video editing, event planning, member services, and administrative duties in the Office of Public Affairs. The Public Affairs Associate will be responsible for the association’s day-to-day social media activities, including designing related graphics. The associate will also be responsible for the association’s morning news roundup for members, maintain and grow accurate media lists, and provide key support for the Council of Strategic Communications, which is comprised of senior communications leaders from APLU member institutions.
The successful candidate will be a strong writer, creative, and well-organized with strong social media and graphic design experience, an understanding of media and politics, and an interest in public higher education issues.
- Coordinate APLU’s daily Morning News Scan e-mail to members.
- With guidance and direction from others in the Office of Public Affairs, carry out APLU’s day-to-day social media activity, which will include regular posting of relevant, engaging content; monitoring accounts and strategically engaging others; and coordinating with others to further amplify APLU’s message.
- Advise and assist other offices within APLU on effective social media practices.
- Regularly develop graphics for use on social media and elsewhere.
- Assist with laying out and designing brief reports.
- Edit short videos for use on social media and at conferences.
- Build and maintain diverse, comprehensive media lists that include specialized lists – identifying reporters to reach out to in a timely fashion and new media outlets and opportunities to share APLU’s work.
- Oversee the Council on Strategic Communications (CSC) membership list to help maintain and strengthen council engagement.
- Plan and facilitate CSC meetings and events, including coordinating with meeting venues and serving as point person for logistics.
- Help draft regular updates to the council membership.
- Promote and market APLU events – meetings, policy forums, etc.
- Help with the curation of APLU’s website.
- Assist with photography and videography at APLU events.
- Ability to identify new opportunities to share APLU’s message.
- Extremely strong written and verbal communications skills
- Good organizational skills
- Creative thinker
- A great sense of humor
- Experience using social media – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn – to strategically communicate and advance organizational goals
- Works well with a team and takes initiative on projects when appropriate
- Photography and videography experience a plus
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite of products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, etc.)
- Experience with email marketing systems –
- Familiarity with HTML
- An interest in issues related to public higher education
- Willingness to learn new skills, show initiative, and take on new challenges
- A good political mind with an understanding of how the news media, Congress and the Executive Branch work
- Did we mention a great sense of humor?
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Past professional experience required
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 237 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. The association's work is furthered by an active and effective advocacy arm that works with Congress and the administration as well as the media to advance federal policies that strengthen public universities and benefit the students they serve.
APLU undertakes a wide array of projects and initiatives along with its members and provides a forum for public higher education leaders to work collaboratively and better meet the challenges and opportunities facing public universities. Annually, APLU member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.2 million degrees, employ 1.2 million faculty and staff, and conduct $43.9 billion in university-based research.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with two writing samples to APLU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Public Affairs Associate.”
Salary is commensurate with experience. APLU provides a generous benefits package. For more information on APLU, please visit www.aplu.org.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.