Vice President for Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources (FANR)
Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)
Executive Director, Administrative Heads Section (AHS) of the Board on Agriculture Assembly (BAA)
Executive Director, Policy Board of Directors (PBD) of the Board on Agriculture Assembly
The position of Vice President is located in the office suite of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) at 1307 New York Avenue, NW. Washington, DC. This is a full time position (12 mo.) that adheres to the human resource policies of APLU.
The Vice President reports directly to the Executive Committee of the Administrative Heads Section and the Chair of the Policy Board of Directors of the Board on Agriculture Assembly and also to the President of APLU.
As Vice President:
- The incumbent is the primary contact and spokesperson for APLU for all activities related to agriculture and related sciences.
- Interfaces with the President (APLU) and other vice presidents and staff of APLU to champion the activities of the Commission on Food, Environment and Renewable Resources (CFERR) and its various boards: Board on Agriculture Assembly, Board on Natural Resources, Board on Oceans, Atmosphere and Climate, Board on Human Sciences, and Board on Veterinary Medicine.
- Leads efforts for substantive collaborations between and among the Boards facilitates the work of the boards internally and with external entities as appropriate.
- Oversees the planning of CFERR activities and its boards’ activities for the APLU annual meeting.
- Provides direct supervision of the Executive Directors for Academic Programs, CARET, and BoHS, and the Director for Federal Relations FANR, and the Administrative Assistant for FANR.
- Provides oversight of the Executive Directors for ESCOP, ECOP, ACOP and of the Vice President for International Programs for their programs that are within the domains of the Board on Agriculture Assembly.
As Executive Director for Administrative Heads Section (AHS) & BAA Policy Board of Directors (PBD):
- Provides executive staff support to the Executive Committee of the Administrative Heads Section of the BAA, the members of the Administrative Heads Section, and the BAA Policy Board of Directors by initiating and facilitating strategic discussion and initiatives; prepares agendas and scripts for leadership.
- Establishes collaborations on behalf of the BAA with external constituencies to enhance programmatic effectiveness.
- Manages and supports regular communications to the BAA membership
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Policy Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the Administrative Heads Section.
- Schedules and arranges regular and ad hoc meetings for the Executive Committee of AHS and the Policy Board of Directors.
- Oversees nomination and election processes for PBD and AHS.
- With the Chairs of the Committee on Legislation and Policy (CLP) and Budget and Advocacy Committee (BAC) arranges and schedules regular periodic conference calls with committee’s membership.
- Provides guidance to the BAC on the performance of the BAA advocacy contractor; prepares annual contractual documents between the BAA and the advocacy and communication contractor(s).
- Serves as the intermediary between the BAC and Council of Government Affairs/APLU personnel.
- Represents the PBD and AHS in discussions/negotiations with APLU leadership as to support services and personnel compensations for FANR personnel.
- Serves as the BAA system representative to the Association of European Life Science Universities (ICA)/APLU executive committee.
- Serves as the APLU (representing the land-grant system) board member of the Board of Directors of GCHERA.
- Serves as the APLU/BAA representative to the Association of Canadian Faculties of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (CFAVM).
- Prepares annual budgets for CARET and the BAA; designs and implements assessment programs for each; calculates individual institutional assessments for each budget; oversees the assessment collection processes; reports collection statistics to the PBD and AHS; monitors budgetary expenditures and reconciles all budget activities.
- On behalf of the BAC and CLP, interfaces with USDA executive personnel to champion BAA priorities as established by each committee.
- Meets with Congressional appropriations and authorizations staff and members to advance the priorities of the BAA for annual appropriations and re-authorization of the Farm Bill.
- Provides the coordination of BAC efforts with the advocacy contactor.
- Serves as Chair of the National Multi-State Coordinating Committee (Section Executive Directors), and arranges and develops the agenda for biannual meetings.
- Oversees the annual updating of BAA institutional voting representatives.
- Oversees the annual (continual) updating of AHS membership, and annual PBD election nomination and election processes.
I am happy to report that the individuals identified as potential members of the search committee have been contacted and agreed to serve. A list of those individuals can be found by clicking here. The calendar timeline for the application and search process, is being distributed to the Administrative Head Section and posted on the APLU website.
Nominations and applications with a letter of expression of interest, a complete curriculum vita, and the full contact information for no less than three references should be should be directed electronically in confidence to Dr. Ian L. Maw at email@example.com by March 16, 2018. Screening will begin in mid-March however, the search will not be concluded until a successful candidate is appointed.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer