POSITION PURPOSE: The Area Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor for dairy will conduct a locally-based extension, education and applied research program focused on Dairy Science. The CE advisor will provide programs across a spectrum of industry issues as they relate to dairy production systems in Fresno and Madera Counties and will address production issues and sustainability in an integrated approach that considers economic viability and conservation of natural resources including land use, air, water, and energy. The CE advisor will work collaboratively with UC ANR academics to address critical issues include reproduction; herd health and related human health issues linked to food safety; nutrition, including feedstuff quality and availability; animal welfare; water quality linked to the use of manure and lagoon water on cropland; air quality impacts linked to the storage and preparation of dairy feeds; and the future implications of animal health emergencies such as foot-and-mouth disease.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement effective UC ANR Cooperative Extension applied research and educational programs to address the identified priority needs of the clientele that are consistent with ANR’s Strategic Vision and ANR initiatives http://ucanr.edu/sites/StrategicInitiatives/.
- Conduct and report regular comprehensive needs assessments to identify priority issues or problems relevant to the local clientele groups being served.
- Conduct applied research designed to solve locally relevant problems and monitor changes.
- Disseminate useful, science-based information to inform clientele, using extension methods that are responsive to clientele needs and appropriate for the audience and situation.
- Maintain and promote UC ANR CE’s credibility and visibility by participating in professional organizations and collaborating with government agencies, commodity groups, allied industry groups, policy makers and other organizations by providing independent science-based information and leadership.
- Evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results, and potential or actual impacts to scientific and lay audiences through a variety of outreach methods.
- Develop collaborative teams with other UC ANR colleagues, including CE specialists, AES faculty, CE advisors and/or others, to address priority issues for UC ANR.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: An earned master's degree, or other advanced degrees, in disciplines such as Dairy or Animal Science or a closely related field, is required by the appointment start date. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability in applied animal science research and extension experience is preferred. Skills to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish are desirable.
SALARY: Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding the Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scale, please refer to: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/271532.pdf.
TO APPLY: For full position vacancy announcement and UC application, please visit our website at http://ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990/. For full consideration, application packets should be submitted in their entirety no later than July 20, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to position AP#14.08. For questions regarding this position, please contact LeChé McGill at email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.