Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position will serve Tuolomne, Calaveras, Amador & El Dorado Counties.
POSITION PURPOSE: The Area Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor for livestock and natural resources will conduct a multi-county based extension, education and applied research program that will focus on livestock production systems including grazing management, pasture management, nutrition, herd health, animal husbandry, genetic selection, reproduction, and marketing. This position will have a strong animal husbandry focus and will contribute to a more complete and balanced team throughout the region. The natural resource component of this position will focus on developing effective solutions to issues relating to commercial livestock production systems and natural resource issues such as water quality, rangeland health, wildlife habitat, and public lands management.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develop and implement effective UC ANR Cooperative Extension applied research and educational programs to address the identified priority needs of the clientele that are consistent with ANR’s Strategic Vision and ANR initiatives.
· Conduct and report regular needs assessments to identify priority issues or problems relevant to the local clientele groups being served.
· Conduct applied research designed to solve locally relevant problems and monitor change.
· Disseminate useful, science-based information to inform clientele, using extension methods that are responsive to clientele needs and appropriate for the audience and situation.
Collaboration, Teamwork & Flexibility
· Develop collaborative teams with other UC ANR academics, including CE specialists, AES faculty, CE advisors and/or others, to address priority issues for UC ANR.
Professional Development & Lifelong Learning
· Maintain a program of continuous self-improvement by participating in in-service training, seminars, workshops, work group & program team meetings, short courses, professional society meetings and other relevant opportunities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A minimum of an earned master's degree, though other advanced degrees are encouraged, in disciplines such as animal science, rangeland management or other closely related fields, is required by the appointment start date. Applicants who are currently enrolled in a masters program must be within 12 months of completing their degree in order to be considered and must provide evidence of degree completion before the negotiated start date. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team member with other professionals. Willingness and ability to embrace change as clientele and organizational needs evolve. Demonstrated relevant course work, training, and practical experience in both animal science and pasture management. The ability to build partnerships and to work with multidisciplinary teams to address production and environmental challenges. Experience in applied research and extension.
Incumbent is required to become a Certified Rangeland Manager within five years of date of hire; see http://casrm.rangelands.org/HTML/certified.html.
SALARY: Beginning salary will be in the Cooperative Extension Assistant Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding the CE advisor salary scales, please refer to: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/293542.pdf. If the successful candidate is currently a UCCE advisor with indefinite status, the
candidate will be offered the position commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications with eligibility to retain such indefinite status.
TO APPLY: For full position vacancy announcement and UC application, please visit our website at https://ucanr.edu/About/Jobs/. For full consideration, application packets should be submitted in their entirety no later than June 28, 2019 to: email@example.com. Please refer to position AP#18.12. For questions regarding this position, please contact Tatiana Avoce at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.