This is a professional position, which reports to the Associate Vice President for Facilities Management. This position provides leadership and management to the department in the areas of finance, budgets, accounting, and reporting. Job duties include:
- budget development and implementation
- oversight, guidance, and direction for fiscal operations and management
- extensive knowledge of university and state fiscal rules accounting and work order quality control oversight for the department's internal work management system. Provide accurate and timely reports for Facilities Management, other CSU departments, and consultants. Liaison to central administrative units, federal contacts, regarding accounting and finance, budgets, audits, construction projects, grant projects, University Facility Fee Advisory Board (UFFAB) student facilities fees, federally leased and occupied buildings, other building leases, and other special projects.
This is a hands-on position that involves review and approval of financial transactions, account reconciliations, journal entries, reporting, research, etc. At the same time, this position, based on professional knowledge, experience, and discretion, must determine when current, proposed, or potential activities may trigger real or perceived fiscal integrity or misconduct and act to avoid possible problems.
Position Summary -
This position manages a finance group consisting of one Accounting Tech IV, four Accounting Tech Ills, and one Accounting Tech II. This work unit exists to provide the following services:
1. Provide services to Facilities Management in the areas of Facilities Management budgets, accounting, financial management and reporting, university billings and department receivables, department internal financial control processes and procedures, and financial instruction. Facilities Management has over one hundred operating accounts with a budget of almost $100 million.
2. Provide accounting structure, maintenance, and updates for the department's Facilities Integrated Workplace Management System which is used to track university space, labor and material costs on work orders, logistics warehouse inventory, operations material and service purchases, billings to university and non-university customers, and reporting.
3. Provide services to the University community and non-University entities in the areas of billing, receivables, reconciliation and financial reporting for real estate leases, Colorado State Department of Public Safety lease, INTO lease, and other leases for federal buildings on university property.
4. Provide construction management accounting services and reporting for over 200 accounts with annual expenses of about $140M. Provide information to Business and Finance for capitalization purposes and for annual financial statements. Manage complex funding streams for capital construction projects that can include state funds, bonds, donations, university resources, student facility fees, and grants.
5. Pay, track, and report on about $20M in university utilities, including electricity, gas, propane, water/sewer, and steam and chill water systems.
Position Supervises -
Position supervises 6 employees
(1) Accounting Tech IV
(4) Accounting Tech IIIs
(1) Accounting Tech II
Decision Making -
Develop internal financial control processes and procedures, financial instruction, and departmental financial account system maintenance. Develop and implement written procedures.
Design ad hoc reports to reflect specific management concerns (variances, revolving fund profits or cash deficits, labor hours, work order activity, warehouse/stock analysis, building maintenance and operations costs, etc.) Ensure validity of Facilities Management accounting subsystems, ensuring validity and reconciliation of Kuali Financial System (KFS) with revenues and expenses in subsystems.
Conditions of Employment -
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Required Job Qualifications -
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance plus 7 years of progressive professional accounting experience.
- Three years demonstrated experience preparing financial statements with knowledge of the construction industry.
- Minimum three years of supervising professional staff.
- Evidence of strong and professional communication skills with the ability to speak to all levels of an organization.
- Experience and working knowledge of accounting systems, Microsoft Office suite, and use of data mining tools.
Preferred Job Qualifications -
- Strong organizational and complex problem-solving skills, follow through, and attention to detail.
- Outstanding analytical abilities, including the use of statistical techniques, financial modeling, and data management.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as autonomously.
- CPA or advanced degree with a concentration in finance, accounting or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and data mining tools.
- Experience in job cost accounting and financial reporting.
- Experience working with institutions of higher education or government agencies.
- Experience working in large, diverse organizations.