The Department of Agricultural and Extension Education & Evaluation (AEEE) in the College of Agriculture (CoA) at Louisiana State University (LSU) seeks applicants for a 12-month faculty, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This position reports to the Department Head of AEEE. AEEE prepares and supports highly qualified agricultural and extension professionals to teach, lead, and serve youth and adults. AEEE’s focus is on two of our greatest assets – the agricultural industry and our human capital. Students in this program learn about effective teaching methods and techniques as they are prepared for careers in both formal and non-formal education environments. This position is funded by LSU College of Agriculture (100% LSU funds) and is responsible for teaching, advising and research in the area of AEEE.
LSU represents the largest institution of higher education in the state and is the public university in the state to be designated a Carnegie Research University with Very High Research Activity. Among a handful of distinguished universities to enjoy Land, Sea, and Space Grant status, LSU offers vital research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students as it transforms new technology into enterprise and lends expertise to solve endemic problems. Ample opportunities are available for professional development and experiential learning exist from study abroad, service learning, internships, undergraduate research, off-site training, co-ops and participation at scientific conferences. Enriched by Louisiana's natural and cultural distinctiveness, the community of learning at Louisiana's flagship university prepares students to meet the environmental, social, economic, scientific, creative and educational challenges that confront us locally and globally. Learning together, the students who begin their intellectual journey with us and the faculty whose research translates discovery into purpose make LSU a beacon of excellence.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate coursework in agricultural and/or extension education
- Develop a strong research program of national scope focused on agricultural and/or extension education.
- Teach resident as well as distance education courses focused on agricultural and/or extension education.
- Advise students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels (M.S. & Ph.D.)
- Participate in the recruitment of undergraduate and graduate students in agricultural and/or extension education.
- Serve on departmental, college, and university committees.
- Develop a focused area for scholarship in and seek extramural funding and other opportunities related to agricultural and/or extension education.
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned.
- PhD, by start date, in Agricultural Education, Extension Education, or closely related discipline.
- Three or more years of professional experience within agricultural and/or extension education.
- Experience in conducting and publishing research and/or scholarly work.
For Associate Professor rank with tenure:
- Record of research productivity commensurate with rank.
- Demonstrated record in training graduate students.
- Demonstrated ability to secure extramural grant funding.
- Experience writing and securing extramural funding.
- Experience in distance education teaching at the post-secondary level.
- Experience collaborating with technical agriculture departments to develop distance programming.
- Experience or Interest in International Agricultural or Extension Education.
- Experience in the development of college and/university wide programming
Special Requirements: Willingness and ability to work evenings/weekends, work on or off-campus facilities, and travel. Additional duties and/or special projects may be incorporated into this position depending on the duties, skills and experience of the individual selected.
Salary & Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. LSU has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2017 or until a suitable candidate is selected. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2018 or as negotiated.
For more information: Dr. J. Joey Blackburn, Chair of Search Committee, LSU AEEE, 129 JC Miller Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803; Phone: (225) 578-7892; E-mail: email@example.com
Special Instructions: Apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants.) Required attachments include a letter of application, CV/resume, and contact information for three references. It is preferred that a copy of your transcript(s) be attached to your application (if available). Original transcripts are required prior to hire. An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre‐employment background check.
November 8, 2017
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
Essential Position (Y/N):
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity / equal access employer.
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu