Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Associate Dean and Director, Extension and Outreach
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. U of I Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE, AND UNIT
The University of Illinois is seeking a visionary leader to join our College administrative team and provide leadership to the Extension and outreach activities in a decentralized campus environment that emphasizes academic excellence and fulfillment of the Land Grant mission. U of I Extension provides educational programs in four core areas: Agriculture and Natural Resources (Commercial Agriculture, Horticulture, Energy and Environment, Local Foods and Small Farms), Community and Economic Development (Leadership Development, Workforce Development, Community Planning, Building Entrepreneurial Communities), Family and Consumer Sciences (Consumer Economics, Family Life, Nutrition and Wellness, Illinois Nutrition Education Programs), and 4-H Youth Development. Extension professionals on campus and in 27 units statewide are assisted by some 30,000 volunteers in all 102 counties, reaching more than 1.6M people face-to-face in Illinois with education outreach programs. More than 150,000 youth participate in 4-H programs in Illinois. There are more than 4,000 Extension Master Gardeners in the state.
Accounting for over 40% of the College’s expenditures, Extension is funded from a combination of federal, state, local, and private sources, including: federal formula and non-formula grants and contracts; state appropriations, grants, and contracts; county appropriations and state matching funds; institutional and revolving funds; and private grants and contracts. Annual expenditures exceeded $54 million in FY17.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus (illinois.edu) has a student enrollment of over 40,000, and nearly 2,000 faculty members. The College of ACES is home to seven academic departments. ACES is widely recognized for their commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate programs, teaching, research, outreach, and international programs.
Urbana-Champaign is located approximately 120 miles south of Chicago in a vibrant and diverse community of 110,000, and is easy driving distance from St. Louis and Indianapolis. Our community offers the residential advantages of a medium-sized university city, excellent cultural opportunities, and a high quality of life.
The Associate Dean and Director will be located in Urbana, Illinois on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. This is a full-time administrative position with responsibility for leading college-wide outreach activities. The successful candidate will hold a tenured faculty appointment in an academic department.
The responsibilities include coordination with the Dean and appropriate Associate and Assistant Deans and Directors in the College, as well as faculty and administrators in other colleges on the campus, in planning, implementing and carrying out the outreach mission of University of Illinois Extension. The Associate Dean and Director will provide leadership, vision and strategic direction for statewide public outreach and research-based education to advance the land grant mission of the University of Illinois. Specifically, the Associate Dean and Director, University of Illinois Extension and Outreach will:
• Provide visionary leadership that addresses the challenges and opportunities associated with major program initiatives, including outreach programs to promote the initiatives of the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
• Integrate Extension outreach with campus faculty, internal or external to the College of ACES, involved in teaching or research by promoting collaboration with the statewide network of County Directors and Extension educators to provide high impact educational experiences.
• Work effectively with University of Illinois administrators; state and national leaders; industry, growers, and producers; private organizations and government agencies, which includes serving as a primary liaison to report accomplishments, and developing and obtaining new revenue streams that will enhance Extension’s ability to address emerging opportunities.
• Maintain close working relations with state and county governments and local Extension Councils, and provide leadership for developing relations with National/Federal organizations.
• Lead and provide direction for all aspects of University of Illinois Extension, including budget and grant management, staffing, field operations and programming. Provide oversight for off-campus facilities including three regional offices and 27 units serving all 102 counties.
• Provide leadership to state and federal grant-funded programs (e.g., Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program –Education, Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program).
• Work to increase visibility and program outreach in urban areas in Illinois as well as develop cooperation and understanding between urban/rural needs and access to Extension’s resources and opportunities.
• Actively participate and represent University of Illinois Extension in state and national meetings to further the University of Illinois Extension’s outreach objectives and new initiatives.
• Participate as a member of the ACES Executive Administrative Team in college-level decision making, serve in an advisory capacity to the dean concerning resource allocation, promotion and tenure, sabbatical leave, strategic planning, program prioritization, responses to university level requests and initiatives, and create and manage college-level initiatives.
• Comply with Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity and Access policies and guidelines in commitment to achieving a diverse workforce.
All candidates must hold a PhD in a relevant field of study and qualify for a tenured faculty appointment at the rank of full professor with demonstrated leadership skills and experience in strategic planning, personnel management, and budget/fiscal management. Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work effectively with policy makers and stakeholders. Understanding of Extension and outreach activities with a demonstrated commitment to the broad mission of a land-grant university. Proven record of working with diverse audiences.
Demonstrated ability to work with public and private organizations. Leadership in university-wide and/or national/international outreach. Extension administrative experience.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
PROPOSED START DATE
As soon after October 5, 2018 as a suitable candidate is identified and available.
To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by October 5, 2018. The search will remain open until suitable candidates are identified. Candidates may be interviewed before October 5, however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Please create your candidate profile at https://go.illinois.edu/F1800107 and upload a letter expressing interest and addressing accomplishments related to the qualifications for the position, curriculum vitae, a statement of leadership philosophy emphasizing your vision for Extension/outreach programs and your ability to foster the development of innovative outreach programs and contact information for three (3) professional references (include name, title, address, phone, email). All requested information must be submitted for your application to be given full consideration.
For further information, please contact search chair German Bollero, via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email jobs@ illinois.edu.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. All tenured appointments require Board of Trustees approval. This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the university’s commitment to diversity, please visit inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.