The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Brand Strategy will play a critical leadership role in Clemson University’s ongoing work to be perennially recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation. Reporting to the Vice President for University Relations, the AVP will serve as Clemson University’s chief marketing and branding officer, responsible for the strategic direction of Clemson’s marketing and branding efforts, in alignment with the recently implemented ClemsonForward strategic plan.
In this role, the AVP will have direct responsibility for the creation, execution and management of a comprehensive branding program that effectively communicates Clemson’s unique differential advantages and its position as a national leader in public higher education across the full spectrum of university stakeholders. Additionally, she/he will lead the effort to ensure that Clemson’s brand messages and standards are communicated and consistently enforced across all university entities – including its colleges, departments, centers and programs.
The AVP will play a vital role in the creation of a high-functioning, integrated communications and marketing organization. As such, she/he will work closely with the VP and other senior staff members across the division to create a progressive, unified, results-oriented organization dedicated to serving the university’s interests and those of its students, faculty and staff.
The AVP will have direct management or general oversight responsibility for team members responsible for the creation of a full range of content designed to enhance Clemson’s reputation, as well as staff responsible for the university’s admissions marketing strategy and market research.
The AVP will be an accomplished and collaborative marketer and communicator with a track record of working effectively in a decentralized higher education or non-profit environment. The AVP will be a superb storyteller in his/her own right with an ability to quickly understand the unique Clemson culture and help shape the university’s story in ways that resonate both with members of the Clemson community and outside stakeholders.
The AVP must be adept at managing creative professionals as well as in the financial management of a marketing/branding operation. A mastery of the analytical tools used to determine the effectiveness of marketing programs – and an ability to communicate the ROI of such work to leadership – is essential.
The AVP also will serve as a senior leader on the Clemson campus and as such must possess a keen understanding of the issues facing higher education today and a passion for the mission of a public land-grant university.
- Serve as the chief marketing officer for the university. Lead the creation and implementation on a new branding program aligned with the goals of the university and its ClemsonForward strategic plan. Once the program has been established, the AVP will have responsibility to ensure the brand standards and messages are communicated in a consistent manner across the university.
- Oversee the creation and execution of a comprehensive admissions marketing program, working with the Office of Enrollment Management, which builds on current efforts to attract a more diverse and better qualified applicant pool, serving as the direct supervisor to the director of admissions marketing.
- Establish effective market research mechanisms and strengthen the division’s use of analytical tools to better track the success and value of the university’s marketing efforts.
- General oversight of the division’s creative team and technical team, serving as the direct supervisor for the division’s creative director. Analyze the team’s structure and work flow; help lead the effort to better prioritize the team’s work to reduce duplication and ensure more time is spent on high value projects.
- General oversight for the university’s audio/video operations, serving as the direct supervisor for the Director of Broadcast Services. Play a leadership role in the integration of the current Clemson University Broadcast Services division into the office of the VP –
Communications and Brand Standards.
- Assist the VP with the creation of the annual budget for the division.
- Work the with VP and other senior members of the team to establish the Office of the VP – University Relations as the university authority on all matters related to communications and marketing. Help lead the work to establish best practices, provide training resources and enforce communications/marketing standards across all university units.
- Serve as a key member of the division’s strategy team and assist the VP in the development of a strategic plan for the organization.
- Represent the office and the VP as necessary on university initiatives and events.
Required experience and skills
- Experience leading marketing and branding organizations in higher education. Additional experience outside of higher education a plus.
- Success at designing/leading effective creative services organizations in a higher education setting.
- Strong, passionate leader who places an emphasis on staff development.
- Collaborative, team-first leader who excels at navigating a decentralized organization.
- Appreciation of the unique responsibilities and challenges of working at public university.
- Seasoned professional comfortable and adept at working with senior-most university leadership.
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong grasp of budgeting and financial modeling within a creative organization.
- Ability and willingness to keep abreast of the latest in marketing and communications technology.
- Significant experience in marketing and communications fields, including demonstrated success as a manager and leader.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications-related discipline required; master’s degree a plus.