Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Associate Vice President for Sponsored Programs (Juris Doctor (J.D.) required.)
Virginia Commonwealth University – Office of Research and Innovation seeks to fill the position of Associate Vice President for Sponsored Programs. The mission of the Office of Research and Innovation (VPRI) is to create an environment that enables our investigators to: 1) effectively compete for research funding; 2) responsibly conduct research in compliance with mandated polices; and 3) broadly disseminate knowledge gained by discoveries made.
The Associate Vice President for Sponsored Programs has overall responsibility for proposal submission and negotiation and post-award administration of grants and contracts relating to VCU research and instruction programs, including oversight of the Office of Sponsored Programs at VCU. With a direct reporting line to the Vice President for Research and Innovation and in close collaboration with the Directors/Sponsored Programs and the Committee for the Administration of Research (CAR), the Associate Vice President (AVP) will work to further develop and enhance Sponsored Programs Administration, including effective negotiations of grants and contracts with both the private and governmental sectors. The AVP will also work closely with other members of the VPRI’s senior leadership team to support university research operations.
This position will also:
• Provide operational oversight and management of the Office of Sponsored Programs;
• Serve as primary Authorized Official for sponsored program activities;
• Oversee contract negotiations, grant review, material transfer, data use, and confidentiality agreement review and negotiation;
• Oversee and provide individualized support to OSP staff in negotiations with external sponsors; interpret terms and conditions; develop institutional standards; train staff as necessary;
• Stay abreast of new regulations and requirements related to sponsored program activities; educate impacted individuals; develop policy/procedure as necessary;
• Work with institution leadership to obtain support for administrative actions that impact sponsored projects;
• Interact with deans and center directors to assess research transactional needs and implement appropriate program enhancements;
• Identify, define, establish, implement and enforce policies, procedures, and/or compliance notices for sponsored programs;
• Mediate concerns related to sponsored programs and facilitate removal of obstacles;
• Represent the interests of faculty, staff, and the VPRI in defining, developing, and implementing institutional business operations to effectively encourage and support sponsored project administration;
• Collaborate with individuals from both campuses and leadership to address client service, strategic planning, work process review and enhancement, and education needs, human resources, budget and finance, and infrastructure for the Office of Sponsored Programs;
• Promote compliance with regulations, policies, and laws that govern externally sponsored research activities;
• Develop business processes and rules to coordinate sponsored project related activities in other VCU operations
• Initiate sponsored program innovations to enhance research initiatives within VCU.
• Ensure maintenance of data, prepare institutional reports and provide research-related metrics as requested.
Juris Doctor (J.D.) required.
• At least 10 years of experience in sponsored project administration at a research university required; experience with the needs of an academic health sciences center highly desirable.
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with customers and sponsors (government agencies, private foundations and companies) at multiple levels in the context of complex organizations
• Broad knowledge of the complexities of grant and contract negotiation and management, including clinical trial agreements
• Demonstrated knowledge of policies and procedures and federal and state regulations applicable to research at academic institutions
• Demonstrated ability to organize priorities, excellent organizational skills and analytical abilities.
• Demonstrated skill in problem solving, staff motivation, and establishing and managing to operational metrics
• Leadership, management, and mentoring skills
• Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Constructive interpersonal skills to interact collaboratively and productively with diverse faculty and staff;
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
• Highly skilled transactional attorney capable of leading negotiations with both private industry and foundations and governmental entities
• Independent assessment of terms and conditions of agreements; determination of applicability and acceptability; consider risks; propose potential resolutions; problem solve.
• Determine impact of new regulations related to sponsored projects when proposed; coordinate institution response; develop policy/procedure; educate faculty and staff; implement.
Apply online at vcujobs.com before 5/28/2016. You should use the Search Jobs link on the left, and reference Position Number FAE290 in the keywords field. Applicants will need to include a cover letter, CV and list of references to apply.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.