Washington State University, Tri-Cities campus, invites applications for a resident faculty position at the rank of Instructor. The position also includes responsibilities for coordinating operation of multiple science teaching labs that cover the subjects of biology, chemistry, microbiology, and physics. Preference will be given to applicants with experience teaching biological sciences courses, especially microbiology laboratories. The successful applicant will also have experience ordering and maintaining supplies inventories, supervising undergraduate students, laboratory safety procedures, and basic laboratory procedures.
The division of responsibilities in this position will be 20% classroom/lecture instruction, 40% laboratory instruction, and 40% teaching laboratories coordination.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach per semester one lecture course in the area of biological sciences and two undergraduate science laboratory sessions.
• Instruct laboratory exercises; assist and advise students in laboratory assignments or in discipline subject matter; write, edit or modify laboratory handouts or manuals; modify experiments
2.Coordinate operation of science teaching laboratories; responsibilities will include
• Supervise a full time Instruction and Classroom Support staff person and student workers
• Coordinate with laboratory instructors to use resources most efficiently; Coordinate use of lab instrumentation and supplies between classes;
• Maintain microbial cultures and prepare materials for microbiology labs
• Order and maintain lab and classroom supplies, chemicals, consumables, instrumentation and equipment; maintain inventories of chemicals and supplies
• Prepare equipment, materials, and solutions for classwork projects; prepare demonstrations as requested by instructors; assist instructors with laboratory material; conduct laboratory or lecture demonstrations; confer with instructors in establishing and developing lab exercises; advise instructors of potential problems with existing programs;
• Delegate laboratory preparation to student workers as necessary and supervise workers in their completion; trains workers in laboratory and safety procedures
• Operate and perform routine maintenance and repairs on laboratory and demonstration instruments and equipment; instruct students, teaching assistants and faculty in the use of equipment
• Monitors laboratories to ensure compliance with safety policy; assists in the development of safe laboratory procedures; trains lab preceptors and student workers in laboratory safety and procedures; maintain safety data sheets and chemicals; assist with chemical waste removal