UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE & NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION
Title: Business Manager
Position Number: 122028
Category Status: Exempt, Contractual, Contingent II
Unit: AGNR-UME-1890 Administration
Location: University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 2139 Henson Center, Princess Anne, MD 21853
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
This position provides support and information to the Office of the Associate Extension Administrator, and the University of Maryland Extension 1890 Program in the areas of Finance, Budget, Procurement, Travel, Hiring, Employment and Human Resources. This position works closely with the UME Administrative Team at the University of Maryland College Park, the Assistant Director of Operations, and Assistant Director for Evaluation and Assessment.
- Finance & Budget Management – reconcile accounts, use best management practices and basic accounting principles for budget management. Prepare/Approve KFS transfers and procurement forms. Manage accounts in Kuali and keep tract of balances and general status of UME-1890 Program account(s).
- Hiring, Employment and Human Resources – Initiates eTerp postings, process new employee’s paperwork, create PHR appointments, prepare contracts/renewals, and tracks renewal timelines. Serves as a resource regarding procedure and policy related to human resources management issues.
- Travel – Serves as official reviewer for the UME 1890 Program. Review TARs and expense statements for accuracy and compliance with UME processes and University policies. Maintain hard-copy records of receipts. Make travel and meeting arrangements as needed.
- General - Oversee and monitor department billing for copier, postage and other revolving accounts in the UME-1890 Program. Assist with daily duties as needed in the Associate Extension Administrator office. Work in conjunction with other regional business managers, i.e. 4-H, to support UME 1890 Program business activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in the area of Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field.
- At least 2 years progressively responsible experience working in a business office in a combination of budgeting accounting payroll, purchasing and human resources in a University setting.
- Working knowledge of management principles and accounting practices.
- Analytical skills to review expenditures and reconcile accounts.
- Competent skills in math and computer programs, including Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication abilities.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, be detail oriented, have follow-through and be a team player.
- Understanding of College and University procedures and policies.
- When offered employment by UME, the successful candidate will be required to obtain a clear background check by the State of Maryland and FBI before beginning work assignment.
- Experience with the use of University of Maryland systems, such as KFS, PHR, eTerp, etc.
- Experience and expertise in utilizing accounting and financial procedures systems in a University setting.
In Maryland, there are two Land-grant institutions. The 1862 Land-grant University is University of Maryland-College Park (UMD) and the 1890 Land-grant institution is University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), Princess Anne, MD. In Maryland, the activities known as “Extension” are conducted by one entity identified as University of Maryland Extension (UME), and UME is the result of a partnership between UMD and UMES. UME is a statewide, non-formal education system with educational programs and problem-solving assistance practices which are available to citizens and are based on the research and experience of the Land-grant universities.
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is a Land-grant, historically black university founded in 1886 as the Delaware Conference Academy. Since its beginning, the institution has had several name changes and governing bodies. It was Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970, when it became one of the five campuses that formed the University of Maryland. In 1988, it became a member of the then eleven campus (now thirteen) University of Maryland System, now known as the University System of Maryland. UMES is approved by the state of Maryland and fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This advertised position is 100% funded by UMES.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience, with Hiring Minimum: $47,600 - Hiring Maximum: $59,500 for this full-time position. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu A complete application includes a cover letter, resume, copies of transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: July 15, 2016
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.