Kansas State University seeks applications for the position of Head, Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. This is a 12-month position with competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidate will have credentials for appointment as a tenured, full professor. Position available 06/01/17 or later as negotiated.
The Department has internationally recognized faculty with diverse backgrounds in programs encompassing teaching, research, extension and service in animal and food sciences. The Department of Animal Sciences and Industry is currently comprised of 56 faculty, 60 classified/unclassified professional support staff. Student numbers include 44 Ph.D., 57 M.S., 82 distance M.S., and 1,226 undergraduates. Although based in Manhattan, the department also has faculty on the Olathe campus and in multiple research and extension stations throughout Kansas. The Department manages 6,300 acres of pasture and 280 acres of cropland. In addition, the department has support facilities for beef, dairy, horse, meat goats, poultry, sheep, and swine, along with food and animal products processing. Please visit www.asi.K-state.edu and www.foodsci.k-state.edu for more information.
The Department Head provides leadership and administrative guidance to:
- Foster excellence in research, extension, teaching, and both domestic and international service
- Promote quality instruction in undergraduate and graduate programs
- Actively involve faculty in the decision-making process, using appointed and elected committees as appropriate
- Provide leadership in planning and supervising programs relevant to the department’s mission within the land grant university system, manage departmental budgetary and financial matters, and assist in generating extramural support
- Create an environment that fosters diversity, collegiality, teamwork, and ablity to work in a multicultural setting
- Evaluate, counsel, and promote professional development of faculty, staff, and students
- Recruit or hire and retain talented faculty, staff, and students
- Engage and interact with stakeholders and communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and university administrators
- Represent and promote the department on campus and in industry and scientific communities
- Facilitate development and fundraising for various departmental activities
- Continue personal professional development in administration and/or research, teaching, or extension
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in Animal Science or related discipline
- Candidate must have credentials for appointment as a tenured, full professor
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including administrative, personnel management, budgeting, communication skills, grantsmanship, and the ability to positively represent the department to scientific, stakeholder, and community groups
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, research, extension, and both domestic and international service; appreciation of the important role of distance education in meeting the needs of a diverse student population
- Experience in assessing priorities and adapting to the changing environment with creativity and innovation
- Strong commitment to expanding diversity in the department and broader university community
- Experience in teaching, research, extension and/or international programs in a land grant university
- Exemplary record of professional achievement
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit the job announcement at http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/500717/professor-department-head and complete the PageUp application process as well as upload a letter of interest that addresses your vision, administrative philosophy and qualifications; curriculum vitae; and the names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five professional references.
The review of applications will begin on April 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
BACKGROUND SCREENING STATEMENT: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.