Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Title: Director Administrative Services
Functional Title: Director Administrative Services
Position Number: 103755
Category Status: Exempt Staff, Regular, Full-Time
Unit: Veterinary Medicine
Home Office Location: 8075 Greenmead Drive, College Park, MD 20742
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Director Administrative Services will provide financial oversight for the department to include administration of the state, revolving and research budgets, presently totaling approximately $6.2 M; prepare and administer memoranda of understanding with various federal and state agencies; administer faculty grant funding accounts and provide account balance updates to each faculty at regular intervals. Oversee administrative functions to ensure efficient and consistent operations. Assist faculty in preparing grant proposals, including a review of proposed budgets, cost-share justifications, and routing forms. Supervise support personnel to fulfill budgetary, computer hardware/software, word processing, office logistics, travel, personnel, and secretarial needs for the faculty, staff and students. Prepare analysis surveys and reports to meet the request and needs of the VMRCVM, UMD, Virginia Tech and external collaborations, such as the Maryland Department of Agriculture, Federal Agencies and professional veterinary organizations. Effectively communicate and present critical matter to the Associate Dean.
Responsibilities: Administrative Functions
• Oversee operations of the department support staff (including staffing, equipment repair and maintenance, loaner equipment, room reservations, mail and package handling, supply ordering and receiving).
• Oversee & review all administrative tasks (PHR, travel management, visa card review, effort reporting, KFS, OPS, any compliance issues, etc.)
• Ensure the department is adequately staffed at all times during the university business day.
• Serve as primary department contact and respond to all emails directed to the department from the web site.
• Assist with coordinating departmental functions (including food services, preparation of plaques/certifications, set-up and clean-up).
• Provide opportunities for additional training and development for staff members.
• Promote a professional work environment for all department staff members.
• Maintain positive working relationship with AGNR administrative personnel and the VMCUM counterparts in Blacksburg.
Budgets and Grants
• Prepare various cost containment options when cuts are required and review with the chair. Submit to AGNR Fiscal Office by deadline.
• Ensure Business Manager provides quarterly budget updates to chair and quarterly account updates to faculty for sponsored research accounts.
• Review all transactions pertaining to department’s ledger 1, ledger 2, and federal formula accounts.
• Assist reconciling some sponsored accounts.
• Assist faculty in preparing grant proposals, including review of proposed budgets, cost-share justifications, and ORAA routing forms.
• Work closely with AGNR, AgPAS, SPAC Sponsored Project Accounting of Contracts & Grants and ORA for questions/problems related to proposal and existing grants.
• Prepare MOUs as needs arise; ensure billing occurs at correct intervals for the correct amounts.
• Attend monthly ANGR Fiscal Officers meeting
• Meet regularly with Chair on issues of budget and general administration.
• Serve as a resource person at the annual meetings of the VMRCVM Budget and Program Review committee (during which the next year’s budget is determined).
• Prepare and submit annual FAEIS report.
Telephone and IT Needs
• Supervise the IT technician; ensure the web site is adequately updated; oversee usage and availability of Vet Med computers.
• Update outgoing telephone messages on both telephone systems as needed.
• Oversees facility renovations, upgrades, and project accounting.
• Serve as the primary department’s emergency contact when work Control needs an immediate, after-hours response. Liaison with DPS on security issues for BSL 3.
• Management of the PRD process for all exempt and non-exempt staff within the department.
• Ensure PRDs for direct staff are timely and accurately reflect job expectations (Facility Manager, IT Coordinator, Business Manager, Business Specialist, Executive Coordinator, and Administrative Assistant).
• Ensure PHR time entry process is conducted according to university guidelines; approves timesheets and leave requests for administrative personnel.
• Provide back-up to new Coordinator with the Appointment, Promotion, & Tenure process and faculty/staff search processes.
• Counsel employees verbally and, if appropriate, in writing.
• Ensure personnel records are maintained in keeping with standard record keeping procedures.
• Communicate new guidelines/ policies to the department.
• Provide orientation to new employees.
Support for Chair/ Associate Dean
• Ensure the chair is updated on all facility, budget, and personnel issues within the department.
• Attend faculty and department meetings, provide administrative and facility updates, and prepares minutes afterwards.
• Ensure the chair has adequate administrative support and his calendar is properly maintained.
Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration or related area
Minimum of (5) years’ experience higher education, with responsibility for budget, personnel and planning activities.
The ideal candidate must have excellent computer skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, supervisory experience, and the ability to nurture teamwork and a positive work environment.
Experience with University of Maryland software programs (such as eTerp, iTerp, PHR, BA4, KFS, Kuali Research and ELF.
A Master’s degree in business administration, public administration, higher education or related field.
Physical Demands of the Position:
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. A complete application packet includes: a cover letter, resume (or CV uploaded as resume), contact information for three (3) professional references (including name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address), and copies of transcripts.
Best Consideration Date: May 31, 2019
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.