The Office of Communications and Stakeholder Engagement supports UW-Extension’s communication, educational materials development and technology integration. Staff collaborate across the institution on priority projects that range from public interest stories, multimedia educational design and publishing to technology adoption, news and inquires, impact reporting, marketing and accountability efforts.
The Office provides leadership for innovative and effective use of educational and communication technologies that support UW-Extension programming and information access through technology and graphic design support, including photography and videography, editorial and production services to education and information projects.
The director leads a staff of communications and stakeholder engagement professionals. The director serves in the capacity affecting the UW-Extension public image, positioning and relationships with stakeholders and provides direct hands-on leadership, guidance, direction and coordination in the administration of marketing, communications and public relations operations. As a strategic thinker, the director is responsible for ensuring UW-Extension activities are aligned with the strategic goals of the organization and UW-Madison. The director acts independently on most daily decisions regarding projects, infrastructure, personnel, operations and management.
In collaboration with the Director of Educational Technology Support, the Director of Communications-Stakeholder Engagement provides oversight to and management of the UW-Extension web activities and branding efforts statewide. This director is the primary contact for UW-Extension’s field and campus staff for information and questions about communication and marketing policies, procedures, and issues as well as UW-Madison and UW-Extension branding issues.
This is a limited appointment reporting to the Associate Dean of Operations and Policy.
PRIMARY DUTIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
40% Leadership in Communications Technology, Publishing, Information Access, News, Marketing, Accountability and Training:
- Develop broad strategy and vision for marketing and communication that tells UW-Extension’s story in alignment with UW-Madison’s overall brand, using traditional and emerging platforms, to both traditional audiences and those not familiar with Extension.
- Develop a vision, mission and grow the culture of service within the Office of Communications and Stakeholder Engagement.
- Provide leadership for the evaluation and adoption of appropriate technologies and innovation that supports communications, educational publishing and access to enhance the effectiveness of UW-Extension.
- Develop scale-appropriate and expedient marketing, communication and public relations strategies, i.e., create a coherent marketing, communication and public relations strategy that is statewide and provides guidance for cost-effective and locally appropriate solutions to help County staff improve visibility in Counties and Areas.
- Provides leadership for UW-Extension marketing efforts focusing on Extension programming, partnerships and impacts.
- Collaborate closely within the Division of Extension and Public Media, UW-Madison University Relations illustrating program impacts and success stories to communities and local decision makers.
- Ensure high quality services are developed for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage and implement operational and administrative processes and policies across UW-Extension.
- Engage and collaborate with Institutes and other Operations units. Serve as liaison and point of contact for UW-Extension on public relations issues.
- Work with all UW-Extension personnel to support communication, marketing and public relations operations in county and area programs. Serves as a resource to staff in response to marketing, communications and public relations management questions and inquiries.
- Counsel staff in UW-Extension on effective storytelling, marketing techniques, new technologies, and gives feedback on efforts to improve skills.
- Ensure staff are effectively equipped with tools and training to prioritize UW-Extension communication and marketing projects and initiatives.
- Provide leadership for the effective delivery of communication products, training in communications, publishing and related areas of innovation for UW-Extension.
20% Administrative Leadership and Management
- Engage, support and help prioritize activities for a diverse team of communication professionals in their day-to-day work. Cultivate an inclusive environment where support staff where staff can be successful in their positions.
- Provide accountability for budgeting, accounting and personnel activities to make effective and efficient use of assigned resources.
- Lead efforts to diversify and expand revenue available to the office. Assist with ongoing needs assessment in support of UW-Extension.
- Promote and maintain a collaborative and inclusive community that strives for equity and equal opportunity.
- Manage the needs of staff, supporting them in their professional development and management.
- Initiate and manage recruitment processes for new positions.
- Serve as UW-Extension’s representative on various committees and working groups across the division and UW-Madison.
- Assist with the management of UW-Extension’s external activities, including drafting talking points and written materials used in speaking engagement activities with stakeholders.
40% Technical liaison in Communications, Marketing and Digital Strategy, Legislative and Stakeholder Engagement
- Build UW-Extension Communications and Stakeholder Engagement framework by identifying key messages and strategies to communicate with stakeholders, including county and tribal officials, elected officials, local partners, and community members, public officials, funding agencies, faculty and staff.
- Research, write and edit engaging content for multiple channels (website, magazine, newspaper, press releases, and social media).
- Manage UW-Extension’s internal and external communications in partnership and in collaboration with UW-Madison’s University Relations.
- Develop tools and channels for effective communications with internal and external partners including relationships with paid media organizations and the press.
- Act as point of contact for the Office of the Dean to ensure cohesion of communication strategies and efforts.
- Align UW-Madison brand identity and associated standards to highlight UW- Extension as a unique division within the University of Wisconsin System.
- Collaborate with other operations units, institutes and UW-Madison to strengthen UW-Extension’s web presence and other public communications.
- Provide oversight and guidance for promotional material produced by UW-Extension’s communicators, staff and faculty.
- Evaluate and conduct surveys of traditional and digital marketing campaigns.
- Coordinate and manage targeted major events with internal and external stakeholders including efforts in supporting Board of Visitor meetings and sponsorship activities.
- Build and maintain working relationships with partners in industry, federal, state and local government, and the nonprofit sector to facilitate open communication and promote collaboration on issues important to UW-Extension’s mission and organizational goals.
- Function as a point of contact and resource to faculty and staff as well as multiple external stakeholders.
- Monitor and appropriately disseminate information about local, state and federal government activities affecting Extension.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, public policy or related field with a minimum of 7 years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing a strategic vision for marketing, communication and public relations, using traditional and emerging platforms to reach and engage a broad array of audiences.
- Superb verbal and written communications expertise with keen administrative and organizational skills.
- Significant skills and professional experience in one or more of the following: writing, publishing, instructional or graphic design, photography, videography or multimedia development.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership and managerial experience including interpersonal, organizational and communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead successful teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships with internal clients and external stakeholders.
- Ability to plan and manage fiscal resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity through inclusive design and language with significant skills and experience working with people as individuals, groups and staff, specifically from a position of leadership.
- Proven ability to design and implement strategies assisting teams of people to prioritize tasks with clear goals identified is essential.
- Must be a proven manager and team leader who excels at organizing multiple overlapping tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently, prioritize and delegate tasks, and keen attention to detail are important.
- Master’s degree with academic studies in communications, marketing, journalism, information technology, public policy with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience.
- Demonstrable understanding of how the role of communication, marketing and information technology can support UW-Extension.
- Successful experience developing grants, external funding or resource allocation.
- Professional experience or knowledge of Extension and the land-grant university system.
- History of expanding opportunities for underrepresented groups in a field or institution.
- Familiarity with County and municipal government and constituent groups tied to programs.
For more information and/or to apply, please visit the website listed.