Title: Executive Assistant
Supervisor: Vice President and Chief of Staff
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Application Deadline: April 3, 2019
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, is seeking an experienced, reliable and task-oriented Executive Assistant. The Executive Assistant (EA) provides executive administrative support to both the President and the Vice President & Chief of Staff. S/he is responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of the supervisors’ issues to independently answer inquiries, respond to internal and external requests, and provide comprehensive administrative and membership support by using their own judgement and discretion. The EA serves as the administrative liaison for the President’s Office. Successful candidates will thrive in a fast-paced, have strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and possess a keen attention to detail. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 239 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $44.9 billion in university-based research.
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing executive administrative support to both the President and the Vice President & Chief of Staff which will include, but is not limited to:
- Represent the President’s Office in a professional manner, placing and responding to telephone calls appropriately, drafting correspondence, etc.
- Manage the President and the Vice President & Chief of Staff calendars; schedules conference calls, appointments, and management and staff meetings. Anticipates schedule conflicts, preparation and travel time, and other similar events which might impact schedule. Ensures supervisors’ schedules are followed and respected; and initiates follow-up actions as needed.
- Maintain, update, and tract records in APLU’s database (Dynamics) for the Board of Directors, Presidents Council, and Spouses/Partners Council.
- Provide administrative support for the Board of Directors (e.g. schedule executive committee calls; coordinate logistics; identify meeting space, select menus, and order audio-visual for the board meetings); manage board directory; compile and distribute board meeting materials; take notes during board meetings and provide meeting minutes; and process travel reimbursement requests.
- Manage the Council of Presidents meetings (prepare meeting agenda; compile meeting packets; coordinate logistics (identify meeting space; select menus, and order audio-visual).
- Respond proactively to daily issues and requests to the President’s Office, resolving conflicts and competing priorities when necessary.
- Arrange complex and detailed travel arrangements for the President.
- Prepare itineraries and develop comprehensive background information for meetings as appropriate and provide meeting materials to the President.
- Draft, review, proofread, and distribute correspondence and documents on behalf of supervisors’ using mass email marketing software.
- Reconcile monthly expense reports and submit reimbursement forms.
- Maintain organized filing system of electronic documents.
- Register all guests of the President’s Office through Lincoln’s visitor registration system.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism in handling sensitive information and materials.
- Manage the APLU membership process: enter and track application in association management software.
- Draft and respond to membership inquiries independently.
- Follow-up as needed and communicate with members of the membership team.
- Update membership information in Dynamics.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 3 years of experience as an Executive Assistant reporting to senior management strongly preferred.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment related to providing support and assistance.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail; must follow through in a timely manner, completing tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrates excellence in problem-solving, and decision-making to advance the department’s goals; exhibits critical thinking and logic skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills that are professional, effective and courteous, demonstrating a high degree of integrity when dealing with people from a broad array of backgrounds and cultures. Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees and stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external to APLU.
- Excellent writing, editing and grammatical skills.
- Flexibility and ability to manage a myriad of on-going tasks in a fast-paced environment and adjust to changes.
- Ability to uphold a strict level of confidentiality.
- Must be able to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinately work efforts without employees and organizations.
- Willingness to take ownership for wide-ranging responsibilities.
- Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2016 or later.
- Experience working with Office 365, association management systems; mass email marketing systems; and Adobe as well as the ability to learn new software.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed.
- Passion to support APLU’s mission.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line of Executive Assistant no later than Wednesday, April 3, 2019. Applications will be reviewed as received and continue until the position is filled. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.