Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science - Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)
University of Illinois Extension is seeking a highly motivated, creative individual to lead the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP). This includes providing educational leadership for staff delivering nutrition education to limited-resource families reducing the factors placing them at nutritional risk, including: basic nutrition, meal planning, shipping for food, access to food, food budgeting and accessing other services. As part of the position, leadership includes management and supervision for the EFNEP civil service staff.
The Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) serves as a regular, full-time, 12-month academic professional with primary responsibility for the delivery and evaluation of the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program within the target area supporting the mission of Extension within the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences at the University of Illinois.
One full-time position is available.
Location: Unit 22 - The Extension Educator will provide educational leadership within the metro area of Madison and St. Clair counties in Illinois. (Position will be housed at the EFNEP Training Center – East St. Louis, IL)
Additional positions may become available in other locations
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) are as follows:
· Provide program leadership or the delivery and evaluation of the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program within the targeted area.
· Train and mentor program delivery staff on best practices of nutrition education. Including concepts in obtaining 24-hour recalls, adult education, and behavior change.
· Provide day-to-day supervision for EFNEP civil service staff including hiring, performance management, and employee evaluation following University policies and procedures.
· Assess the needs of local clientele in a systematic and analytical manner. This should include networking and collaborating with community organizations that serve the needs of the target EFNEP eligible population.
· Within the designated area(s) of specialization, understand the appropriate curricula and programs to address local needs as well as to mesh with the broader state and national interdisciplinary initiatives. Assist in program development and review of materials that support program objectives.
· Ensure the delivery of high impact programs to diverse audiences utilizing a selection of innovative delivery mechanisms to optimize reach and effectiveness.
· Evaluate the impact of program initiatives in a planned and statistically relevant manner. Evaluation plans should focus not only on short-term impacts but also on long-term changes in clientele practices and the community.
· Development effective and contemporary approaches to communicate with clientele. This may include constantly evolving electronic technologies (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, blogs, e-learning, etc.).
· Secure internal and external resources to enhance the development of innovative educational programs with potential for high impact.
· Market and represent Extension’s interests to external partners and stakeholders.
· Cooperate with the County Director to achieve budget goals and relevant grant initiatives.
· Serve as an effective Family and Consumer Sciences team member and volunteer for leadership roles as appropriate.
· Comply with all reporting deadlines and requirements (e.g. plans-of-work, activity and impact reporting, etc.).
· As needed, accept statewide responsibilities.
· Pursue professional development opportunities to enhance competency in subject matter area.
· Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports.
· Perform other duties that contribute to University of Illinois Extension programming, as assigned.
· Local, regional, and statewide travel required; personal transportation required.
· To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Some work will be required during evening and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subject to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing, and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental, and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Science (EFNEP) is administratively responsible to the County Director and programmatically responsible to the EFNEP Specialist and Program Leader.
· Required: Master’s degree in nutrition, public health, community health, family and consumer sciences, adult education or related subject matter emphasis from an accredited institution of higher education. Candidates with a Master’s degree in progress may be considered for interviews, but degree must be completed by hire date. Experience working with a diverse staff and audience in an urban area. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain networks that serve the target program eligible population within an urban area. Demonstrated ability to build and lead effective teams for program implementation. Strong oral and written communication skills. Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment.
· Preferred: Personnel management experience which includes hiring, training and supervision. Experience in the area of grant management and developing external funding for program support. Experience working with community-based nutrition education programs. Experience with Cooperative Extension system. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain diverse networks. Familiarity with the area in which the position is located.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenured academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu/100014. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of August 20, 2018.
For further information about the position please contact Julie Ritchey at email@example.com. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.