Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
University of Idaho
Extension Faculty - Horticulture
Location: Off Campus Location - Canyon County Extension/Caldwell
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Faculty
Pay Range: $47,242 - $58,667, commensurate with experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The Extension Educator will provide overall leadership and organization for multi-county horticulture programs (90%) and provide technical support for the 4-H Youth Development program in Canyon and surrounding counties (10%). The Educator will provide assistance in university outreach where appropriate.
Scholarship & Creative Activities -
Recruit external funding and develop partnerships that support and enhance county and district educational programs and research projects, and publish results in appropriate scholarly outlets.
Outreach & Extension -
Plan, develop, implement, evaluate, and report horticulture programs for homeowners, nursery and landscape professionals, gardeners and small acreage landowners. In cooperation with area green industry businesses, governmental agencies and University of Idaho Extension Specialists and Educators, plan, develop and implement educational programs in community and commercial horticulture. With direction from local advisory committees, develop and facilitate collaborative educational programs that meet clientele needs (e.g. low-water landscape, integrated pest management, composting, fruit production, urban forestry, turfgrass and nursery production areas). Provide leadership for the Canyon County and district Master Gardener, Advanced Master Gardener and other area horticulture programs. Evaluate and report program impacts. Evaluate programs and document impact of educational interventions related to knowledge increase, adoption of recommended practices and evidence of widespread successful management of natural resources. Provide assistance in university outreach where appropriate.
University Service & Leadership -
Serve on University, College, Extension, district and community committees, boards and working groups as appropriate.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution in field of study related to Horticulture, Plant Science, or a closely related discipline (the required degree must be completed by the date of hire).
• Demonstrated ability to design innovative and effective educational programs in response to local needs; implement programs and evaluate their effectiveness.
• Demonstrated competency in people-related skills such as teaching, problem analysis, communication, conflict management, relationship building and leadership development.
• Demonstrated communication skills (oral, written, listening, public speaking/presentation skills).
• Must be able to recruit, teach, and manage volunteers.
• Computer literacy and effective written communication skills.
• Competence in using technology for program delivery, record keeping and reporting, and team-based communications.
• Must be willing and able to travel and to participate in evening and weekend programs.
• Must meet the requirements for the rank of Assistant and/or Associate Professor at the time of hire.
• At least 3 years of experience in Extension education or demonstrated ability and skill in horticulture (relevant experience acquired within the last 5 years preferred).
• Ability to communicate in Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
• Experience in disseminating applied field study results through scholarly outlets.
• Demonstrated skills in organization and management.
• Demonstrated drive and initiative; proven ability to work with people of all socioeconomic levels and backgrounds.
• Experience in fund raising, grantsmanship, and cost recovery efforts.
• Ability to adapt research materials for effective oral and written presentations.
• Ability to work well in a team and provide effective instruction, support, marketing and promotion for Extension programs.
• Supervisory experience and proven ability to lead and mentor others.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with mass media (TV, Internet, radio, newspapers).
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: F000745P
Posting Date: 12/04/2018
Closing Date: 1/4/2019
Open Until Filled: No
In the letter of qualification, please address how you meet EACH minimum and preferred qualification.
In addition to the applicant documents requested with this application, please have three (3) letters of recommendation that address the responsibilities of this position sent to the following address (generic letters of recommendation will not be considered):
Patrick Momont, District Director
UI Extension, Southern District
1904 E. Chicago St., Ste. AB
Caldwell, ID 83605
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1346735
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.