The Extension Software Engineer serves as a regular, full time, 12 month academic professional with primary responsibility for designing, developing, and supporting digital applications to enable Extension’s outreach mission and internal functions, including website content management, data analytics and visualization, internal business applications, workflow processes and university systems integration. This position will collaborate with the Extension Administration and web team colleagues in furtherance of the administrative and programmatic needs of Extension.
One full time position is available.
Location: Urbana-Champaign Campus
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Software Engineer are as follows:
· Design and implement new and enhance existing applications to meet Extension’s program and operational needs.
· Maintain, evaluate, and support U of I Extension digital applications and databases.
· Provide technical leadership in the development and maintenance of Extension digital tools.
· Develop and deploy database-driven web and mobile applications in support of Extension’s educational mission.
· Develop and maintain website content management systems and tools.
· Develop Extension systems that integrate with University financial and administrative systems (including Banner).
· Develop data analysis and visualization tools.
· Work directly with authors and customers to prioritize system requests and resolve issues independently.
· Experiment with new technologies relevant to the area of application development to ensure that Extension leverages modern technologies.
· Collaborate with web team members to improve the overall software design, development, testing, release, and support processes.
· Conduct analysis of Extension tools to ensure their quality, security, efficiency and effectiveness.
· Provide excellent user support and problem troubleshooting.
· Assume leadership role in application development lifecycle, including client relationship management, technical architecture, quality control and security.
· Produce documentation of digital applications including requirements and design documents, code documentation, user documentation and other reports as needed.
· Ensure the protection and security of data that is accessed, collected or stored by web applications and databases.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Extension Web Team Manager.
· Comply with Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of University work and responsibilities.
Administrative Relationship: The Extension Software Engineer is administratively responsible to the Extension Web Team Manager.
- Preferred: M.S. in Computer Science or related field from an accredited institution of higher education. Experience with Microsoft SharePoint and Drupal. Experience in the agile method of development. Understanding of Universal Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager. Experience in unit testing, debugging, refactoring and code review. Experience in continuous integration and quality control using a version control system (SVN). Experience in software development lifecycle, quality assurance, release management, and problem resolution. Experience in writing scripts. Understanding of data analysis and visualization tools and techniques. Experience in integration with large-scale administrative systems such as Banner and customer relationship databases. Strong skills in database creation and management (in a MS SQL environment). Experience in writing support/reference documentation.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu/A1500406. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of October 23, 2015.
For further information about the position please contact Chris Tidrick at email@example.com. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).