Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Provides educational leadership in the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of research based, integrative statewide Extension programs that meet the needs of limited-resource and socially-disadvantaged audiences. Delivers training and educational support materials for field staff and their clientele/ customers in natural resources, consistent with the philosophy, policy and overall mission, goals and educational objectives of Cooperative at N. C. A&T State University. This position works both individually and collaboratively to plan, deliver, and assess the effectiveness of Extension programs relating to production agriculture, agroforestry, pond management and small-scale irrigation technologies. Secures external research funding for programs to engage underserved and limited-resource audiences in the revitalization and profitability of small farms and managed woodlands.
This position 1) designs and develops educational programs based upon solid needs assessments and/or situational analysis of small-scale farmers and woodland owners in the local communities 2) collaborates with academic and research faculty, county staff, regional/district directors at NCAT and NCSU, state program leaders, the ANR program leader, and other extension specialists and research scientists in the development of County Extension programs in natural resources; 3) provides technical training for county staff and statewide partners; 4) prepares curricula and program accomplishment reports to share with internal and external audiences and assist with marketing the organization and its impacts; 5) assists technical staff with utilization of resource materials within their program components; and 6) conducts applied research on the A&T University Farm and on cooperating farms related to natural resources. The Extension Specialist in Natural Resources reports to the Agriculture and Natural Resources Program Leader of Cooperative Extension at N.C. A&T.
- Ph.D. from an accredited university in Natural Resources, Forestry, Environmental Science, or a closely related field
- Two years of experience in program management or cooperative extension.
- Computer literacy (proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Office)
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
- Valid Driver’s license and personal transportation.
- Ability to travel and work after hours/weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds safely to conduct farming demonstrations and equipment training
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education:
- In addition to Ph.D., five or more years of professional experience in Cooperative Extension, natural resources research, academia or the private sector.
- Five or more years of experience in program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Experience with statistical analysis software.
- Experience planning, implementing, marketing and evaluating educational programs.
- Ability to interact and gain support from constituencies outside the university such as business and industry, state and federal agencies and non-profit and private foundations.
Special Instructions to Applicant:
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application.
Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks.
North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.