University of Idaho
Fate and Transport Research Faculty
Location: Idaho Falls
Division/College: University Outreach - Idaho Falls
Employee Category: Faculty
Pay Range: $70,000-$75,000
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The University of Idaho is seeking a Research Faculty member to apply numerical modeling skills in the area of fate and transport of nutrients, microbes, pharmaceuticals and other agents in watersheds for both surface and subsurface waters. The successful candidate will apply science, engineering and math expertise to solve fundamental questions about the fate and transport of nutrients, microbes, pharmaceuticals and other agents derived from agricultural and industrial operations in major watersheds and sub watersheds in the United States. Research focus areas are: Simulating flow and transport of water and contaminants in major U.S. Watersheds, including model discretization, parameter calibration, data gathering and input, along with model verification and validation using SWAT or other available numerical codes; Using data collected from watershed areas, investigate the methodologies for impact assessment of the agricultural and industrial management practices; Collecting information and data on the geospatial, meteorological, hydrological, constituent loading observations, and agricultural and industrial management practices on watersheds; and determining how the interaction of waste streams, technologies, and stakeholder behaviors can be modified in order to increase resilience under scenarios of changing climate, adoptions of resource recovery technologies, demographics, and economic development.
The successful candidate will work closely with other researchers from universities, national laboratories, and federal agencies such as the EPA . Candidate will develop or participate in research programs with the EPA on fate and transport of nutrients, microbes, pharmaceutical and other constituents involving a number of watersheds in the US and assist in fate and transport issues involved with an NSF project related to innovation associated with the food- energy- water nexus. In addition, the successful candidate will assist in preparation of proposals related to fate and transport projects and to development of codes for fate and transport studies.
This position will be expected to fund 75% of its salary through research after the first year.
• Ph.D. in Science, Engineering, Mathematics or closely related field.
• Demonstrated success in research publications and presentations with emphasis in water modeling.
• Commitment to working collaboratively with a network of faculty, institutions and industry on research.
• The candidate must have good written and verbal communication skills.
• Research experience with Watershed modeling with microbial and nutrient fate and transport, Urban water runoff analysis, and Quantitative microbial risk assessment.
• Experience with GIS software, (ie., ArcGIS, ArcInfo,) Programming Language (FORTRAN , MATLAB ), and Engineering software (i.e., BASINS , FRAMES , SDMProjectBuilder, SWAT , HSPF , StateMod, PEST ).
• Publication record in science, engineering or mathematics with a focus on fate and transport on nutrients and microbes from agricultural operations.
• Evidence of successful funding procurement related to water modeling.
• Experience collaborating with industry on research and/or technology transfer.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: F000563P
Posting Date: 04/06/2017
Closing Date: 5/6/2017
Open Until Filled: No
To apply, complete the online application on the University of Idaho web site
https://www.uidaho.edu/human-resources/jobs and include the following: (1)
curriculum vitae, (2) names, e-mail, and
phone numbers of three references and your relationship to each and (3) a cover
letter or letter of interest.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/994675
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.