Title: Human Resources Associate
Supervisor: Human Resources Director
Status: Full-Time; Non-Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Associate to support the organization’s life-cycle HR function. Specific duties include coordinating recruitment and orientation for new employees, administering benefits and supporting staff appreciation activities. Successful candidates will thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess extraordinary interpersonal skills, keen attention to detail and a passion for contributing to APLU being an employer of choice. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 239 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $44.9 billion in university-based research.
The HR Associate will provide administrative support to APLU’s life-cycle HR function which includes, but is not limited to:
- Support recruitment activities including, posting position announcements, reviewing applications, scheduling interviews, conducting background checks, etc., ensuring the recruitment process is conducted professionally.
- Assist with benefits administration, including employee enrollment, reconciliation of invoices, coordinating benefits communications, etc.
- Manage employee files, ensuring they are complete and up-to-date.
- Coordinate orientation for new employees ensuring new employees experience a smooth onboarding process and feel welcome at APLU.
- Coordinate staff appreciation activities for staff such as welcome breakfasts, annual holiday party, volunteer events, etc.
- Manage the HR email accounts and calendars, ensuring that emails are responded to promptly and professionally.
- Support HR training and other events and activities.
- Maintain a high standard of confidentiality with employee records and information.
- Provide general administrative support to the APLU office including, answering phones, ordering/restocking supplies, managing incoming and outgoing mail, etc.
- Prepare and circulate notes of monthly All Staff Meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and 1-2 years’ experience working in an office environment, preferably in an HR-related position.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills which must be effective and courteous, requiring high integrity when dealing with a broad array of confidential issues. Excellent writing skills required.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines at once. Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment related to providing support and assistance.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are required. Thorough knowledge and experience in building project management systems, filing systems, and general office procedures preferred.
- Highly skilled in the use of Office365 (including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). HRIS and/or database experience preferred.
- Willingness to learn new technologies as needed.
- Passion for the APLU mission and contributing to APLU being a continued employer of choice.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with “HR Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as received and continue until the position is filled. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.