Jobs at Member Institutions & APLU
Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Association of Public & Land-grant Universities
Office of Finance
District Of Columbia
Payroll Specialist and General Bookkeeper
Title: Payroll Specialist and General Bookkeeper
Location: Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) Department: Finance
Supervisor: Chief Finance Officer Application
Deadline: March 15, 2018; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Salary Range: This is a full-time non-exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Accounts Payable and Payroll Specialist processes all the components of weekly accounts payable, including payroll, and provides accounting assistance for all other functions of the department.
Book keeping functions
- Responsible for monthly bank reconciliations
- Works with other accountants to make sure all transactions are entered into the GL
- Reconciles American Express credit card transactions and supports the entry into the accounting system
- Orders new American Express (AMX) cards and cancels cards and works with training the staff on the AMX Procedures.
- Processes semi‐monthly payroll for approximately 60 employees, including employees with multiple program distributions.
- Responsible for the maintenance of timesheet documentation and payroll payment records that meet requirements of federal and other funders.
- Monitors employee payroll input for proper allocation of time. Coordinates with Grant and Program Managers in coding employee time to meet grant budgetary and other grant compliance requirements.
- Prepares, reconciles and distributes recurring payroll reports including vacation, retirement and insurance accruals.
- Prepares journal entries for each payroll to post the required transactions to the general ledger.
- Prepares the journal entries for all employee benefit allocations
- Acts as liaison to the payroll system outsource in maintaining software updates for payroll and tax reporting.
- Thorough familiarity with the policies and procedures guiding the work of the department Must maintain job performance that is consistent with these policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining current training and knowledge in the job functions, and in the agency’s accreditation standards and performance and quality improvement efforts.
- Responsible for up‐to‐date cross‐training and readiness to perform one or more of the other accounting functions not in the primary areas of responsibility of the Accounting and Payroll Specialist position.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the CFO
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- AA degree in Accounting or Business preferable, or some accounting/ bookkeeping skills, along with some college level accounting/business courses; and two years’ payroll processing experience. Two‐three years’ experience in non‐profit fund accounting may substitute for a portion of the education requirements.
- Great Plains accounting software experience preferred.
- Skilled and experienced in general ledger, spreadsheet (Excel preferred) and word processing programs. Accurate 10‐key by touch.
- Ability to maintain all accounting files.
- Requires prioritization of tasks to meet deadlines, good decision making and organization skills.
- Cooperative, friendly, and helpful attitude with clients and co‐workers. Ability to work closely with other employees to ensure positive, constructive environment within the program or department, and throughout the agency.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible, fast‐paced and growth‐oriented environment, while maintaining a sense of humor and a positive, solution‐oriented approach.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
Please send a cover letter and resume electronically with the subject line: Payroll Specialist to email@example.com.
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.