University of Idaho
Pilot Plant Research Manager, Food Technology Center
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $52,398 per year or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The major responsibility of this position will be to manage the logistics and execution of food processing research and testing studies being conducted in the Food Technology Center (FTC ) pilot plant. The pilot plant is the major research component to the Food Technology Center and is responsible for all regulated studies conducted in addition to technical service projects for private U.S. Food and Agricultural processing companies.
Specific responsibilities for the pilot plant research manager include, but are not limited to; project design and management, process setup, tear down, maintenance, data collection, reporting, staff management and management or design of facility standard operating procedures and quality assurance records. The pilot plant research manager will also be responsible for collaborating with the FTC director and pilot plant clients with new project design, analysis, financial administration and communication between study sponsors and the FTC . Secondary responsibilities will be to source, procure and manage pilot plant inventory and resources. Occasional assistance may also be required in managing the FTC commercial kitchen in the absence of the FTC director and/or the plant supervisor.
• Bachelors degree in Food Science, Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, or other scientific discipline.
• Minimum 5 years food industry experience in R&D, quality assurance, and/or pilot project management.
• Experience managing a diverse group of personnel in a food processing environment and ability to effectively communicate quality and safety objectives to that group.
• Willingness and ability to physically work hard and beyond regular hours when needed, especially during peak fruit and vegetable harvest and research seasons.
• Ability to work independently and interact professionally with a diverse clientele.
• Demonstrated ability to work with personal computers including word processing, database, presentation and quality assurance software.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Idaho food processing regulations, FSMA , organic food processing regulations, EPA Good Laboratory Practices, Basic food processing unit operations including dehydration, fractionation, thermal processing, freezing & refrigeration, and size reduction.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel within the continental United States.
• Master’s degree in Food Science, Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific field.
• Management experience in a quality assurance laboratory responsible for Good Laboratory or Good Manufacturing Practices, HACCP , Pest Control.
• Pilot plant processing or pilot plant trial experience or demonstrated experience in production scale-up and new product specification development.
• Fundamental understanding of food product or food process development.
• Experience with third party auditing in a food processing or food laboratory environment.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Must be able to lift, carry, or otherwise move up to 50 lbs. and utilize pallet moving equipment.
Posting Number: SP001571P
Posting Date: 09/21/2017
Closing Date: 10/19/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1090638
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.