University of Idaho
Potato Storage Facility Manager
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $21.15 per hour or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Direct and oversee operations and management of the Kimberly Potato Storage Research Facility. This facility is approximately 6,800 ft2 with 9 independently controlled environment bins capable of storing 200,000 lbs of potatoes each. This research storage facility has multiple refrigeration units, humidification systems, compressors, heat exchange units, heaters, circulation pumps, fans and other mechanical components dedicated to the function of the facility. Responsible for decisions and payment for all maintenance, upgrades and repairs to the facility as needed. Duties include organizing, problem solving, and managing research studies in small-scale research storage units. Major responsibilities include facility monitoring, maintenance and repair. This position requires a person to manage the requirements of multiple research projects and balance demand for storage space and environmental conditions needed by Principal Investigators. Assist faculty members in conducting potato storage research. The position is responsible for daily laboratory management, scheduling lab, storage and equipment use, ordering supplies for public domain equipment, transmitting data to the appropriate person, inventory management, and supervision of technical staff. This position requires participating in ongoing projects with collaborators and personnel at various University of Idaho Research and Extension Centers.
• Education/Experience: B.S. or B.A. in agricultural science or A.A degree with 5+ experience in agriculture science or environmental control systems (eg. HVAC).
• Experience: in understanding of and experience with agricultural equipment; gathering and compiling data; report writing; coordinating research projects; and developing budgets.
• Skills: applicants must be self-motivated with good interpersonal skills; have a strong work ethic, be able to work in remote areas individually and as a team member, and be able to work under limited supervision; demonstrate excellent verbal-communication skills; and demonstrate skills in data management;
• Willingness and ability to: work with and without direct supervision; listen carefully and follow instructions accurately; be prompt and organized; work flexible and overtime schedule when the work dictates.
• Must possess: valid driver’s license and ability to drive a UI vehicle (pass driving record check and defensive driving course) and ISDA pesticide applicator license; good written and oral English communication skills;
• Experience: A Master of Science degree in agricultural science, or a related field.
• Experience with potato production and storage and/or HVAC experience.
• Demonstrated skills and ability: supervising and project management; operation of farm and laboratory equipment; prioritize program and facility tasks and needs; identify, troubleshoot and solve problems; establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, collaborators and cooperators; good communicator; work cooperatively with faculty and staff from other programs.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Ability to lift, carry, or otherwise move 60-80 lb. bags or boxes of potatoes.
Posting Number: SP001589P
Closing Date: 11/16/2017
Open Until Filled: No
In addition to completing the online application, please submit a letter of qualification addressing how you meet each of the minimum and preferred requirements and a resume.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1114221
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.