Title: Regional Director
Administrative Unit: Field Operations
Appointment: Community Relations/Outreach Manager, Job code 9341R2
Reports to: Statewide Director of Field Operations
Office Location: Extension Regional Office, Rochester, MN
Application Deadline: November 3, 2017; initial review, open until filled
University of Minnesota Extension is a major outreach arm of the University of Minnesota, a land grant institution with a mission to serve the public through applied research and education. The mission of the University of Minnesota is: Making a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota.
Regional Director Role:
The Regional Director serves a major role in field operations, providing critical functions related to internal and external stakeholder relationships, county funding, human resource management, and overall management of regional and county offices. To be successful, the Regional Director must provide strong leadership and management skills consistent with University of Minnesota Extension mission, vision, and core values. The Regional Director interacts effectively with diverse stakeholders and staff, and is committed to expanding and fostering diversity and inclusion. This position is part of a statewide team of Regional Directors and also works within a Regional Director team, serving 18 counties in the Southeast region. The Regional Director team also works closely with a Regional Leadership Team (RLT), consisting of both programmatic and field operations staff. The Regional Director reports to the Director of Field Operations.
Duties, responsibilities, and performance expectations:
Internal/External Relations & Communications:
● Communicate the value of and advocate for Extension programs and positions with stakeholders
● Advocate for sustaining and increasing county investments and Extension partnerships
● Facilitate County Extension Committee (CEC) leadership and development through member selection and onboarding; support of meetings and materials; capacity building for budget development, identification of local needs, performance input for local Extension staff; and recruitment of CEC members to participate in skill building opportunities
● Convene and give leadership to the Regional Leadership Team (RLT) in support of identified priorities which strengthen Extension’s messaging with stakeholders and improve internal communication and staff engagement
● Coordinate a regional media and communications plan, facilitating organizational marketing of Extension and the University
● Coordinate program impact reporting within a region (presenting to County Boards and community groups, etc.)
● Support regional legislative relationships
● Represent Extension’s interests by serving on county committees and leadership teams
● Support regional fund development
● Build support, develop and manage county budgets by engaging CEC members, county boards, and county administration
● Negotiate the level of investment for local program delivery via the Memoranda of Agreement (MOA) between the University and counties
● Manage regional office budget
Office Human Resource Management:
● Chair search committees for regional support staff
● Supervise regional support staff
● Build a positive and supportive working environment among clerical and program staff
● Work with program supervisors to support and coach local Memorandum of Agreement program staff through performance and office team issues
● Ensure hiring practices include approaches which seek to reach historically under-served and under-represented audiences
Program Support and Communications:
● Provide leadership in internal communication, team building, and collaboration with county and regional staff to ensure program success
● Develop and maintain working relationships with Program Leaders to:
o support program and human resource development
o ensure program success through local staff hiring practices, onboarding, conflict management, and financial stewardship
o communicate program outcomes and impacts with stakeholders to ensure public support and funding for Extension
● Listen to stakeholders’ perspectives to determine local needs and emerging issues, and communicate these to program leaders
● Lead and serve on county, regional and state search committees
● Work with counties to support regional program delivery, including negotiation of office space, support, technology, and finance
Office Operations Management:
● Support a positive, productive work environment: promoting teamwork among staff in county and regional offices, convening staff conferences, meetings and retreats, and encouraging transparent communication
● Determine and assign levels of office clerical support for program staff
● Manage regional and county office space, leases, coverage, inventory, purchases, safety and emergency plans
● Provide leadership for Civil Rights compliance and commitment to diversity
● Monitor technology resources in regional and county offices to meet the functional needs of staff and comply with University and County standards
● A Bachelor's degree and 8 years of related experience is required. Experience includes: Experience in Extension, non-profit management, and/or Higher Education
● Demonstrated ability in leadership, team building, coaching, time management, personnel management, office procedures, strategic decision making and problem solving, building collaborations, accountability, and effective communications
● Ability to engage stakeholders, partners, and colleagues
● Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships and productive partnerships
● Demonstrated ability and commitment to work with new, diverse and historically underserved audiences, as well as with diverse staff, volunteers, community leaders, and elected officials
● Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and organization skills
● Skills/abilities in managing people and resources
● Experience working with boards/advisory committees, including abilities in group facilitation and/or strategic planning
● Highly motivated with the ability to work both independently and as a part of a productive work team
● Demonstrated skills in conflict management and organizational problem-solving
● A Master’s degree is strongly preferred
● At least five years’ experience in Extension and/or Higher Education
Individuals in the Regional Director role will identify and participate in professional development opportunities in support of Extension’s organizational goals and mission.
This is a full-time, annual academic professional administrative appointment with the University of Minnesota title of Regional Director, job code 9341R2. Renewal is dependent on funding, need, performance, and results. Extension’s academic promotion process does not apply to this job category. Performance evaluation is completed by the Director of Field operations using Extension processes for input and evaluation.
The University of Minnesota benefits package is available with this full-time appointment.
https://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits Salary is commensurate with experience.
Reimbursement for travel and subsistence is available in accordance with University policy. (Must provide own means for traveling throughout the state and legally required vehicle insurance.)
Job Opening ID: 320187
Please apply online: http://www.extension.umn.edu/about/employment/ or call 612-624-3717.
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position. Complete the brief application and include the following attachments with your online application.
· Cover Letter
· Transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
· Names and contact information for three professional referenences.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
For questions about applying online, contact:
Extension Human Resources
260 Coffey Hall
1420 Eckles Avenue
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55108
For questions about this position contact:
Tammy McCulloch, Regional Director, Chair
Office Phone: 651-480-7745
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University of Minnesota Extension shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.