Title: Staff Associate
Location: Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)
Department Office of Research & Policy Analysis
Supervisor: Vice President, Office of Research & Policy Analysis
Application Deadline: January 13, 2017 or until filled
Start Date: February 2017
The Staff Associate performs broad array of critical administrative tasks for effective office operations including planning conferences, webinars, and meetings; managing on-site meeting logistics; scheduling meetings and coordinating calendars; and overseeing the payment of invoices and project consultants. A successful Staff Associate will be able to contribute to the achievement of office objectives by resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise.
The Staff Associate will coordinate and carry out regular communication with APLU members and project participants through a variety of channels such as email, newsletters, conference calls, and social media. The ability to comfortably interact with multiple and diverse constituent groups at all staff levels is critical to this role. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated capacity to handle such interactions, sometimes under pressure, while being proactive, resourceful, efficient, and professional.
The Staff Associate is the primary point of contact for participants in two national web-based metrics projects – the Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA) and the Student Achievement Measure (SAM). The Staff Associate supports the work of other team members to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues for each project as well as assisting with the development and testing of new features.
The Staff Associate works within Office of Research & Policy Analysis and reports to the Vice President of Research & Policy Analysis. As part of the Research & Policy Analysis team, the Staff Associate routinely collaborates with other APLU offices and contributes to overall association goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position’s primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following.
• Schedules and organizes meetings, travel, and departmental activities for all members of the team.
• Drafts general correspondence and presentations and proofreads various documents.
• Processes expense reports, tracks budgets, and departmental or project expenses, including the payment of office invoices and monitoring of contracts with project consultants.
APLU - Research & Policy Analysis Office
• Develops and revises the APLU webpages associated with office projects, initiatives, councils, and commissions.
• Serve as the office contact and expert for the association data management system including the maintenance of accurate council and commission lists and tracking of grant record and reporting timelines.
• Provides participant support for projects such as responding to questions, clarifying requirements, updating user or institutional information, and directing unresolved issues to the appropriate office team member.
• Coordinates and executes regular communication and updates to project participants and advisory committees.
• Schedules and manages the logistics of meetings for project committees or other constituent groups
• Assists with project outreach efforts through activities such as creating promotional materials, utilizing social media, participating in conferences, and other types of promotion.
• Works with the Finance department on the collection of annual project participation dues including the compilation of appropriate contact data, calculation of dues, distribution of invoices, and answering questions from participants.
• Acts as project coordinator for special projects--at the request of supervisor--which may include planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, coordinating direct mailings, and creating newsletters.
Event and Meeting Planning
• Coordinates regular meetings for executive committees of the Council on Student Affairs (CSA) and the Commission on Information, Measurement and Analysis (CIMA), which may include drafting and distributing agendas, background materials, meeting minutes, and coordinating follow-up activities.
• Responsible for logistics, planning, and management of conferences and meetings including obtaining, reviewing, editing hotel contracts, and communication with hotel/conference centers.
o CSA meetings – typically one summer forum and sessions at the APLU annual meeting. Works closely with the Director of Student Success, Research, and Policy Analysis and council members on content and programming and provides administrative support as needed.
o CIMA meetings – typically one summer meeting and sessions at the APLU annual meeting. Works closely with the Director of Research and Data Policy and commission members on content and programming and provides administrative support as needed.
• Administers meeting and conference evaluations and tabulates results.
APLU - Research & Policy Analysis Office
The qualified candidate will have experience supporting multiple projects; the ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies; interest and experience in using technology to improve work efficiency; and respect for confidentiality on all business matters. The individual will be familiar with meeting planning and logistics, general office procedures, and budgeting. Qualified candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills and strong time management skills. The candidate also must be able to work independently, exercise discretion and sound judgment, and complete tasks in a timely manner. Strong candidates will be energetic, dependable self-starters, team-players, and able to work productively with limited supervision. Ideal candidates will have a knowledge of and interest in higher education, student affairs, and/or data and analytics. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
• A minimum of three years of increasingly complex administrative support experience.
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
• Experienced and skilled in the use of Microsoft office products, social media, and web-based research and information tools.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience coordinating tasks associated with a complex, multi-faceted projects including billing, communication with participants and stakeholders, responding to participant questions, and maintenance of project documentation and records.
• Experience planning and coordinating events, including workshops, webinars, and conferences.
• Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and also independently without close supervision.
• Ability to successfully balance multiple tasks and priorities, to anticipate potential problems and meet key deadlines, and to recognize potential issues and bring them to the attention of the Vice President or other team members.
• Experienced in maintaining poise, professionalism, focus, consistency, and accuracy under pressure of multiple deadlines.
• Demonstrated organizational skills, creativity, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail..
• Demonstrated ability to work with numbers, metrics, and spreadsheets
• Work experience at a college/university, a higher education-related organization, or a non-profit association.
• Experience using an association management system such as Microsoft CRM.
• Spanish-language proficiency.
APLU - Research & Policy Analysis Office
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 236 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.8 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.2 million degrees, employ 1.2 million faculty and staff, and conduct $43 billion in university-based research.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with two writing samples to APLU’s Human Resources Department: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Staff Associate – Research & Policy Analysis.”
The position is full-time with a salary range of $50,000 to $55,000, commensurate with experience. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
For more information on APLU, please visit www.aplu.org.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.