Title: Staff Associate, Board on Human Sciences, Inc.
Location: Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)
Department: Board on Human Sciences, Inc.
Supervisor: Executive Director, Board on Human Sciences, Inc.
Salary: $22,000 (part-time annual)
This part-time position (currently 20 hours per week) reports to the Executive Director, Board on Human Sciences, Inc. (BoHS), supports the BoHS Board of Directors and membership, and provides a full range of moderate to complex administrative and program support to the BoHS.
This person will communicate with the BoHS governing body and general membership via routine correspondence, social media, and other forms of communication. The ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of important external constituents as well as internal contacts at all staff levels is critical to this role. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated capacity to handle such interactions, some-times under pressure, while being proactive, resourceful, efficient, and professional.
This individual must have experience supporting projects from conception to completion; the ability to quickly learn new tools and technologies; interest and experience in using technology to improve work efficiency; and respect for complete confidentiality on all business matters. The individual must also be familiar with meeting planning and logistics, general office procedures, and budgeting. Qualified candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills and exceptional time management skills. The candidate also must be able to work independently from to time and must have the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment regarding matters of significance, as well as the ability to complete tasks in a timely manner both independently and collaboratively. Strong candidates will be energetic, dependable self-starters, team-players, and able to work productively with limited supervision. It would be helpful, but not mandatory, if the candidate has some knowledge of and interest in the one of more disciplines associated with human sciences as well as the workings of the U.S. Congress and the federal government. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Schedule and organize meetings, conference calls, and travel;
• Draft and circulate correspondence with constituents via e-mail and postal mail;
• Work independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects;
• Serve as project coordinator for special projects at the request of supervisor, which may include planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, coordinating direct mailings, and maintaining a BoHS presence on social media;
• Process expense reports; track budgets and Board expenses;
• Process reimbursements for BoHS Board members;
• Manage and update event and member databases, listservs, and other group communication lists;
• Update and maintain BoHS’ pages on APLU website;
• Proofread documents;
Meeting Planning Responsibilities
• Responsible for logistics, planning and management of conferences and meetings, including obtaining, reviewing, and editing hotel contracts and communicating with hotel and other vendors (minimal travel required);
• Participate in meeting planning committee meetings and calls;
• Propose meeting registration fee, manage budget and prepare financial reports
• Assist the BoHS Executive Director with inviting speakers for meetings and managing the logistics of such occurrences.
• Prepare and disseminate meeting registration materials;
• Make necessary catering and audiovisual arrangements for in-house and off-site meetings, and ensure meeting rooms are set up as needed;
• Draft and send “thank you” letters to speakers;
• Create evaluation forms and compile data into a summary report
• Draft and transmit regular electronic announcements to the BoHS Board of Directors and membership;
• Maintain a BoHS presence on social media (i.e. Twitter)
Knowledge and skills required to perform this job
• Experienced and skilled in the use of software programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs etc.), social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.), and web-based research and information tools;
• Comfortable learning new software and technology tools;
• Experienced with planning events;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with general guidelines and training;
• Proven ability to multitask and prioritize projects/responsibilities;
• Experienced in maintaining poise, focus, consistency, and accuracy under pressure of multiple deadlines;
• Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
• Proven writing and editing capability
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required;
• Minimum of five years administrative experience required;
• Some Congressional/federal agency experience preferred
Please send a cover letter and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Staff Associate, Board on Human Sciences Position.”
Salary is commensurate with experience. APLU provides a generous benefits package. For more information on APLU, please visit www.aplu.org.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.