Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
University of Idaho
Division/College: University Research (Div)
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $61,036 annually or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The System Analyst/Programmer will help support two cooperating research computing units at the University of Idaho, the IBEST Computational Resources Core (CRC ) and the Northwest Knowledge Network (NKN ). This position will jointly report to the CRC Director and NKN Director and work closely with the system administrators and other technical staff from these units to provide a highly secure and optimized environment for IBEST /NKN production hardware and computing software; involved in project planning and the evaluation of research computing infrastructure across a heterogeneous environment; monitors and insures system security and performance; develops and implements system reporting services; maintains IBEST /NKN configuration management systems, software repositories and package management systems; optimizes existing software and assists in the development and maintenance of in-house software.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field OR at least 4 years equivalent experience. Experience must be with current versions of Linux (Redhat/CentOS or its equivalent is preferred).
• Experience working cooperatively and communicating effectively with management, colleagues, and end-users in a customer service driven environment.
• Experience with version control systems (e.g git).
• Working well with people from various organizational disciplines and with people who have varying degrees of technical experience.
• Experience managing and using relational SQL databases. (MySQL preferred)
• Experience managing production web servers, including SSL certificate management (experience with Apache httpd preferred)
• Working knowledge of application systems design, relational database design and management, multi-user application programming, computer trends, capabilities, and terminology.
• Communicating solutions of technical problems to vendors, clients, end-users and/or other IT staff.
• Debugging and testing computer programs/operations systems and components.
Knowledge and Capabilities
• Advanced knowledge of Linux and exposure and willingness to work in OSX and Windows Server environments.
• Industry best practices for working in and maintaining a secure server environment
• Working knowledge of server system technologies such as Network Attached Storage, virtualization, and shell scripting
• Demonstrated record of communicating effectively verbally, in writing and interpersonally
• Must have a flexible and professional attitude towards working hours
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field
• Experience with current configuration management and deployment strategies
• Creating RPM packages and repositories
• Graphical, user interface and information design experience
• Experience with HPC systems and clustered storage (Lustre)
• Experience with networking design and implementation
• Experience with bioinformatics software
• Operational experience with content management systems, especially Drupal.
• Experience with Virtualization systems and hypervisors including VMWare vSphere, XenServer, and Docker.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to keep up with technological changes
• Knowledge of practical applications of common network protocols such as TCP /IP, DHCP , DNS , SNMP , SSH , SMTP , and LDAP
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP002014P
Posting Date: 11/27/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Preferential review of applicants to take place on January 2, 2019.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/1345716
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.