Austin, TX – The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) today announced its 2017 Board of Directors. At a ceremony during the association’s 129th Annual Meeting, University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan became Chair of the Board, taking over for University of Kansas Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little. The Board of Directors provides oversight and direction for APLU’s work and is charged with setting membership and governing policies for the association. Board members work to make public institutions of higher education more effective in delivering high quality and affordable higher education alongside cutting-edge research and robust community and economic engagement.
“Terry Sullivan has tirelessly advanced public universities’ vital work her entire career,” said APLU President Peter McPherson. “We’re delighted that she has been selected as the next Chair of the APLU Board of Directors. She leads one of our nation’s most storied public universities, and we’re thrilled to have her bring her vision for the future of public universities to APLU as she serves as chair. Our Board of Directors plays a central role in shaping APLU’s agenda and the public higher education landscape more broadly. We look forward to the extensive experience and considerable expertise they will bring to their roles.”
Below is the roster for the 2017 APLU Board of Directors:
- Teresa Sullivan, President, University of Virginia, is Chair of the Board.
- Robert Caret, President, Chancellor, University System of Maryland, is Chair-Elect of the Board.
- Bernadette Gray-Little, Chancellor, University of Kansas, is Past-Chair of the Board.
- Michael Drake, President, The Ohio State University, is Chair of the Council of Presidents.
- Mildred Garcia, President, California State University, Fullerton, is Secretary of the Council of Presidents.
- Susan Herbst, President, University of Connecticut, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Satish Tripathi, President, University at Buffalo, SUNY, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Waded Cruzado, President, Montana State University, is a Board Member-at-Large.
- Council of 1890s Universities Representative: Kevin Rome, President, Lincoln University at Missouri.
- Council on Academic Affairs Representative: Karen Hanson, Executive Vice President and Provost, University of Minnesota.
- Council on Engagement and Outreach Representative: Andrew Furco, Associate Vice President for Public Engagement, University of Minnesota.
- Council on Governmental Affairs Representative: Michael Frame, Director of Federal Relations, Florida State University.
- Council on Strategic Communications Representative: Jack Martin, Senior Director of Strategic Communications, University of Washington.
- Council on Student Affairs Representative: Lori Reesor, Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, Indiana University.
- Council on Research Representative: Sethuraman (Panch) Panchanathan, Executive Vice President, ASU Knowledge Enterprise, Arizona State University.
- Commission on Access, Diversity, & Excellence: Mark B. Rosenberg, President, University International University.
- Commission on Food, Environment, and Renewable Resources Representative: Ronald Green, Chancellor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Commission on Innovation, Competitiveness & Economic Prosperity Representative: Pradeep Khosla, Chancellor, University of California, San Diego.
- Commission on International Initiatives Representative: Angel Cabrera, President, George Mason University.
- Commission on Urban Initiatives Representative: Mark Becker, President, Georgia State University.
- Commission on Information, Measurement, and Analysis Representative: Roy Wilson, President, Wayne State University.
- Board on Agriculture Policy Board Representative: Jay Akridge, Dean of Agriculture, Purdue University.