If your university is interested in participating in the 2016 IEP Universities program, please note the following.
April 26, 2016 Overview Webinar: The IEP Universities Committee of CICEP presented a webinar for universities interested in participating in the 2016 program. View a recording of the webinar here.
The provide an in-depth view of what is required to apply for the IEP Universities designation.
The CICEP Economic Engagement Framework is central to the institutional economic engagement self-study that precedes your application for designation. Interested institutions should download these tools right away and begin getting familiar with them.
2016 Timeline and Process
The designation and awards program comprises three different activities 1) institutional economic engagement self-study and stakeholder engagement, 2) application for designation, 3) application for awards. Universities must have received the designation to apply for the awards program. All universities who have received the designation, even if the designation was received in a previous year, may apply for awards.
February - August 2015:
- Download and get familiar with the CICEP Economic Engagement Framework
- Plan to participate in the CICEP Summer Meeting and IEP Universities Summit, including an IEP Universities Current and Future Designees' Workshop, May 31 - June 3, 2015 in Raleigh, NC--details will be provided in the IEP Universities Overview Webinar.
- Begin participating in 2016 IEP Universities cohort conference calls and online learning community to share ideas and learn from one another. These conference calls will be held every other week.
- Begin planning your institution's approach to the self-study and stakeholder engagement processes.
By September 4, 2015:
- Notify APLU of your university's plan to conduct the self-study and stakeholder engagement by submitting a letter of intent to participate. A template for a letter from your president/chancellor will be provided by APLU.
September, 2015 - February, 2016:
- Continue participating in 2016 IEP Universities cohort conference calls and online learning community to share ideas and learn from one another
- Conduct institutional economic engagement self-study and stakeholder engagement. Details about your approach to the self-study will be addressed in the orientation process, and we will encourage you to build on the tools included in CICEP's "Economic Engagement Framework" for your self study and stakeholder engagement.
By September 25, 2015:
- Submit a one- to two-page description of your institution's self-study plan, including a timeline and specifics about activities
By March 4, 2016:
- Register your intent to submit an application for IEP University Designation (only those institutions who have previously submitted a letter of intent to participate on or before September 4, 2015 may register their intent to submit an application at this point).
- Prepare designation submission (approximately 20 - 30 pages), including: narrative description of self-study process and university economic engagement enterprise, brief descriptions of university accomplishments, and an improvement plan targeting areas for growth in university's economic engagement.
April 15, 2016:
- Deadline to submit application for designation.
June, 2016 (date TBD):
- IEP Universities Designation and Awards Program Workshop (in conjunction with the CICEP Summer Meeting)
June, 2016 (date TBD):
- Applicants notified of designation status, designees announced.
By June 24, 2016:
- Register your intent to submit an application for an IEP Universities award. Only institutions which have received the designation qualify. Institutions who have received the designation in previous years can submit award applications.
July - August 2016:
- Prepare award application (about 6 - 12 pages), including a brief overview of general university accomplishments in economic engagement, and three case studies of specific economic engagement accomplishments in talent (education and workforce development), innovation (commercialization, entrepreneurship, etc.), place (community, social, cultural development), or overall (examples of how the university connects all three areas of economic engagement--talent, innovation, and place).
August 12, 2016:
- Deadline to submit application for IEP Universities awards.
- Award finalists announced.
- Award winners announced at APLU Annual Meeting (November 13 - 15, Austin, TX)
Please contact any of the following for more information:
APLU Assistant Vice President, Innovation and Technology Policy
Staff Director for CICEP
Director of Research, Innovation, and Graduate Education, Purdue University School of Engineering Technology
IEP Universities Co-Chair
Executive Director, Research Information Systems, University of Central Floriday
IEP Universities Co-Chair