A SMART Approach to Student Success: Strategic Management of Advising Reform and Technology
APLU developed A SMART Approach to Student Success to guide campus leaders through the entire process of transforming an advising system such that student success becomes a collaborative effort and strategic priority.
A SMART Approach to Student Success provides guidance to leaders in academic affairs, student affairs, advising managers, professional advisors and faculty in launching campus-wide proactive advising systems, developing policies and practices to better serve today’s students, and establishing mechanisms for assessing the quality and impact of student success initiatives.
Based on in-depth interviews with presidents, provosts, vice provosts for student success, vice presidents of information technology, and advising personnel from five leading institutions, this course explores the following topic in depth using video narratives, practical activities, and resources developed by experts in the field.
- The intersection of proactive advising, technology and student success objectives.
- The role of technology and data analytics in proactive advising.
- The structural, process and attitudinal changes required to improve advising systems.
- The implementation and communication strategies needed to build effective campus teams.
- The best methods for calculating and communicating about returns on investments in proactive advising systems and student success driven initiatives.
A SMART Approach to Student Success is a self-paced online course. It may be licensed on an individual (single enrollment) or institutional basis. While valuable to individual campus leaders, we recommend that college and universities seeking to launch campus-wide, proactive advising systems consider experiencing A SMART Approach to Student Success as a team.