Recommendations: Institution-Wide Dynamics and Resources
Recommendation 6. The campus lead, leadership team, and faculty, embed safety communication in laboratories, classes, departments and throughout the wider campus.
Tools for Recommendation 6
Implementation strategies for embedding safety communication
- Create campus-specific safety videos to use at public meetings.
- Open formal meetings on campus with a safety message.
Video examples to raise awareness of the importance of safety
Examples of winning marketing campaigns for safety
Safety communication resources
Comparison of Recommendation 6 with other key resources
- From Safe Science: Promoting a Culture of Safety in Academic Chemical Research (NRC, 2014):
- Conclusion 4: There are several key attributes related to research group dynamics that contribute to the advancement of the laboratory safety culture. A strong, positive safety culture includes regular safety communication, for example, “safety moments” in academic research events (e.g. seminars, group meeting, doctoral defenses, and teaching includes open communication about safety as a key element that is sought out, values, and acted upon.
- From Cultures in Academic Institutions (ACS, 2012):
- Recommendation 16. Establish a system to promote safety in an institution or department that encompasses: electronic communications; printed materials;’ special seminars or events discussing or promoting safety; a recognition system for good safety performance; and a process to solicit, review, and act on suggestions for improving safety and identifying safety issues.
<Previous Recommendation / Next recommendation>Return to all recommendations