Land-Grant Universities: Impacting International Trade and Local Markets is our theme, and the meeting is being held on Sunday, March 1, 2020 to Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC. This meeting will bring together CARET and AHS members to Washington, DC to carry the Fiscal Year 2021 budget recommendations of the Board on Agriculture Assembly to the Second Session of the 116th Congress.
The 2020 Joint CARET/AHS Meeting Planning Committee has an exciting program planned for you. The CARET Executive Committee will meet for dinner on Saturday, February 29, 2020. The three-day meeting will consist of the following events:
• CARET Executive Committee meeting and a get-to-know-you luncheon with the new CARET delegates and their mentors; new AHS members should plan on attending the luncheon
• a showing of the Justin Morrill: Land for Learning video about the creation of the land-grant university system
• an orientation for new CARET delegates and AHS members (including the CARET orientation video and information on APLU)
• Tailgate Welcoming Reception – all attendees should plan to wear their institution’s t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc.
• introduction of the 2020 CARET Officers and Executive Committee
• an update from USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture on their budget priorities in Fiscal Year 2021
• keynote presentation from The Honorable Gregory F. Doud, Chief Agricultural Negotiator, Office of the U. S. Trade Representative
• a panel focusing on international trade and local markets composed of representatives from the American Farm Bureau Federation, USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service, and Georgia Grown
• a presentation from one of the winners of national winners of the 2019 Food and Agricultural Sciences in Excellence in College and University Teaching Awards
• a panel focusing on working with our external partners with a highlight on youth – National FFA, National 4-H Council, and National Young Farmers’ Coalition
• program sessions on the Fiscal Year 2021 budget recommendations of the Board on Agriculture Assembly and effective advocacy
• regional CARET meetings
• joint and separate meetings with CARET and AHS
• a reception/dinner that will include excellent entertainment
• visits to Capitol Hill
Hotel rooms for the 2020 Joint CARET/AHS Meeting can be booked at:
We look forward to seeing you in Washington, DC in March!