The APLU Board of Directors established the Committee of Research Intensive Public Universities (RIC) in June 2013 to advise the association on issues and concerns of particular interest to research intensive public universities. Advice from the RIC augments the activities that APLU undertakes such as lobbying for federal research funding, indirect cost recovery, public access for publications, and commercialization of technology.
The RIC is composed of individual chancellors and presidents; it is not a committee of institutions. The presidents/chancellors on the committee are from research intensive public universities. The APLU Executive Committee, with the advice of the President of APLU, determines the membership of the committee.
The committee has a chair and a vice chair, who each serve two-year terms. The committee is composed of presidents/chancellors who serve staggered two-year terms with a possible two year renewal. In addition to the RIC membership, the ex officio members are the Chair of the APLU board, the Chair of APLU Council of Research (research vice presidents), and the Chair of the APLU Council of Academic Affairs (provosts).
The RIC is an advisory committee, not an operational one. The committee’s advice on a problem does not replace seeking advice from the full membership as appropriate.
The committee meets throughout the year.
APLU Staff to contact for more information
- Peter McPherson, President, APLU
- Kacy Redd, Director of Science and Mathematics Education Policy, APLU
- Samuel Stanley, President, Michigan State University (Chair)
- Joan Ferrini-Mundy, President, University of Maine (Vice Chair)
- Ángel Cabrera, President, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Patrick Gallagher, Chancellor, University of Pittsburgh
- Kevin Guskiewicz, Chancellor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Pradeep Khosla, Chancellor, University of California, San Diego
- Gary May, Chancellor, University of California, Davis
- Maurie McInnis, President, Stony Brook University
- Havidán Rodríguez, President, University of Albany, SUNY
- James Ryan, President, University of Virginia
- Timothy Sands, President, Virginia Tech
- Wendy Wintersteen, President, Iowa State University
Ex-officio members of RIC (given their APLU Board roles):
- Waded Cruzado, President, Montana State University, Chair of the APLU Board of Directors
- Joan Lorden, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Designated representative of the APLU Council of Academic Affairs (provosts
- Christopher Keane, Vice President for Research, Washington State University, Designated representative of the APLU Council of Research (vice presidents of research)
Join the Conversation