Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Department: 3670085525 Salina Undergraduate Svcs
Job no: 512072
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Salina, Kansas
Categories: Academic Advising / Support, Student Affairs / Services
Pay Grade: 08A
About This Role:
Kansas State University Salina seeks an academic advisor to join its Academic and Student Services team. Academic advising is a decision-making process in which advisors assist students to realize the maximum educational benefits available to them in order to better understand themselves and to use the resources of K-State to meet their educational needs and aspirations. Advisors collaborate with faculty and staff to address the academic advising needs of individuals and/or groups of students.
• Provide student academic advising for K-State majors, including new, returning, transfer students, individually and in groups, about College policies, programs of study and degree options. Provide students with information about alternatives and options regarding academic decisions.
• Convey curricular information and assists students in course selection in support of their goals and interests.
• Collaborate with a diverse group of people from faculty and staff to undergraduate students and their family members.
• Establish and maintain relationships with assigned program faculty, staff, and directors to understand and clarify departmental expectations, maintain current knowledge of all degree programs, curriculum changes and requirements, etc.
• Possess knowledge of all university offices and make referrals as appropriate in support of student success.
• Ability to use tact and diplomacy in handling difficult or confidential situations and abide by all departmental policies and procedures, rules and advising expectations and FERPA guidelines with respect for the professional, confidential nature of advising undergraduate students.
• Evaluate transcripts, develop plans of study, conduct degree audits, authorize advising forms, complete graduation checks, etc.
• Participate in intrusive intervention measures for students reported on academic alert and academic warning.
• Develop a tracking system for students at risk, including learning contracts, exception contracts, and reinstated students and provide advising and academic support services for these students.
• Assist in developing and maintaining advising resources such as an advising handbook, curriculum guides, website information, and other advising tools and resources for students, staff, and faculty.
• Maintain academic advising databases and records.
• Stay current on relevant Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid and Enrollment policies that may affect K-State students.
• Assists students with program changes and career exploration as it relates to degree majors and career fields, administer career exploration tools as needed.
• Track advising statistics and conduct assessment.
• Assist in the development and implementation of the comprehensive student experience
• Participate in the development, coordination, and implementation of Enrollment Days in conjunction with other Academic and Student Services staff.
• Participate in Orientation Sessions for new and transfer students.
• Develop and coordinate student success workshops and group advising sessions in support of advising and students' degree programs.
• Provide training, group information sessions, programs and events for students with common academic interests and goals.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree
• One year of relevant experience
• Two years of experience working in higher education
• Experience working in college admissions or academic advising
• Familiarity with K-State Salina academic programs and curriculum
• Master's degree in Counseling, Academic Advising, College Student Development, Education, or related field
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• May require some evening and weekend hours for special events/trainings.
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proven record of organizational skills
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people
• Ability to work in diverse and changing environments
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to meet deadlines, be detail-oriented, and prioritize
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong personal computer skills
• Sensitive to issues of ethnicity, disability and diversity
• Adhere to strict confidentiality and other ethical standards
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Letter of interest addressing qualifications and skills related to the position
• Resume listing education and employment history
• Contact information for three current professional references (titles, mailing address, e-mail, and phone)
NOTE: Only complete applications packets will be accepted.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
For best consideration, apply by January 23, 2022.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$39,780 - $49,000, depending on qualifications
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jan 10, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2764922