Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Department: 3670055030 Hospitality Management
Job no: 512670
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Academic Advising / Support, Administrative / Professional, Student Affairs / Services
Pay Grade: 08A
About This Role:
The Departments of Hospitality Management (HM) and Interior Design and Fashion Studies (IDFS), both within the College of Health and Human Sciences, are seeking an Academic Advisor to join their team. This position is responsible for advising undergraduate students across three academic programs: hospitality management, interior design, and fashion studies. The Academic Advisor is also expected to participate in student recruitment efforts and communicate with prospective students. This position reports to the HM and IDFS Department Heads.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Advise approximately 400 undergraduate students
• Assist students with transfer credits from other institutions and study abroad experiences
• Work in conjunction with department heads, faculty, and staff to plan, develop and grow academic student services, recruit new students, and promote student success
• Along with the college recruiter, attend recruiting fairs and give presentations to high schools across the state
• Schedule and participate in prospective student visits to advise on academic requirements, transfer credits, etc.
• Assist department heads and faculty with curriculum changes and course scheduling
• Attend and participate in program meetings, department meetings, and various events as required
Why Join Us:
The Department of Hospitality Management is comprised of an accredited undergraduate program (ACPHA) with approximately 130 students, and MS and Ph.D. graduate programs with 20 students. Currently staffed by seven full-time faculty members, the department cooperates with hospitality organizations and other entities to provide hands-on experience for students. Faculty collaborate with researchers in business, agriculture, food science, KSU Research & Extension, psychology, and other disciplines in dynamic and innovative research ventures. Additional information about the Kansas State University Department of Hospitality Management can be found at https://www.hhs.k-state.edu/hm/.
The Department of Interior Design and Fashion Studies is an inviting and supportive unit that serves 275 undergraduate students on the beautiful Kansas State University Campus in Manhattan KS. The department offers two B.S. degrees: one in Interior Design and another in Fashion Studies (with specializations in Fashion Design and Fashion Business). The graduate program offers resident Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in Fashion Studies with a distance M.S. degree specialization in Merchandising through the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA). The department has well-equipped design and research laboratories and is home to the KSU Historic Costume & Textile Museum. Department programs are accredited through the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), the Textile and Apparel Programs Accreditation Commission (TAPAC), and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). For more information, visit our website at: https://www.hhs.k-state.edu/idfs/.
The College of Health and Human Sciences is home to six academic departments (Applied Human Sciences; Food, Nutrition, Dietetics & Health; Hospitality Management; Interior Design & Fashion Studies; Personal Financial Planning; and Kinesiology) and the Center on Aging. In addition, the college received approval from the Kansas Board of Regents to begin a Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program and to serve as a satellite location for the WSU nursing program. The College enrolls roughly 2,800 students (graduate and undergraduate) and employs more than 115 full-time faculty members in teaching, research, and Extension positions (https://www.hhs.k-state.edu/). The College is committed to promoting research, scholarship, creative activity, and discovery with a strategic and cohesive focus on health and human behavior.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's degree
• One year of relevant experience
• Master's degree or certificate in academic advising, counseling and student development, or related field
• Three years of relevant experience
• Computer competency
• Familiarity with hospitality management, interior design, and/or fashion studies academic disciplines
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills with the ability to speak effectively in front of large groups
• Demonstrated effectiveness in working with diverse individuals in a variety of settings
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Cover letter addressing required and preferred qualifications
• Contact information for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$39,780 - $50,713
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Mar 30, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2972726