Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
Department: 3670001110 K-State Athletics Inc (Agcy)
Job no: 512833
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Academic Advising / Support, Student Affairs / Services, Athletics
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
K-State Athletics is seeking qualified applicants for an ACADEMIC COUNSELOR, which is a full-time, salaried, benefits-eligible position.
An example of job duties includes but are not limited to:
• Advise student-athletes from a particular sport(s) on such matters as course and major selections, class attendance, academic priorities, grades, NCAA eligibility, and career opportunities.
• Develop and maintain academic records and reports, as it relates to matriculation status, classroom attendance, review of academic and satisfactory progress, as well as APR projections of assigned team(s) on semester and annual basis.
• Ensure course schedules/grad plans are consistent with the student athlete's educational goals, degree requirements and required NCAA benchmarks. This job description includes the expectation of compliance with all NCAA, Big 12 Conference, Kansas State University, and K-State Athletics Inc. rules and regulations.
• Assess academic needs for student-athletes; assist with evaluation of each student athlete's academic skills and aid in the development of an academic plan
• Assist students in developing self-advocacy skills and self-awareness.
• Work closely with Specialized Learning/Tutorial Program staff to assign weekly study hall requirements, regular study and tutor sessions for student-athletes; supervise tutorial services for assigned students one night a week; --Maintain absolute professionalism and confidentiality while working with student athletes.
• Point of contact with respective sport program(s) and administrators as it relates to academic performance and eligibility status of student-athletes on assigned teams; serve as liaison between student athletes, campus advisors, faculty and academic departments; work closely with registrar and admissions contacts as it relates to evaluation of both high school and transfer prospective student athletes; use of effective oral and written communication.
• Assist with creation and execution of educational programming for new student-athletes, assist with Student-Athlete Development programming where necessary (i.e. summer bridge, career programming, service, etc.), and participate in on-campus recruiting activities.
Why Join Us:
K-State Athletics is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference, and we are looking for applicants who want to become a member of our staff to help advance our student-athlete services office through hard work, knowledge and dedication.
Our mission is to foster a culture in which our student-athletes have every opportunity to reach their maximum potential academically, athletically, mentally and socially while operating an organization that is anchored by a genuine commitment to K-Stat, our supporters and each other.
For more information on K-State Athletics, please visit http://www.kstatesports.com/
For more information on Manhattan, KS and the University, please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/jobs/
The 2021 annual survey by Forbes magazine, "https://www.forbes.com/best-employers-by-state/#498d33c8487a", finds Kansas State University rates among the Top 3 employers in the state and is the best university employer in Kansas.
Manhattan was ranked # 19 in "Best Small Cities (under 75,000 population) in the U.S. by NerdWallet.com for Quality of Life, Economic Health, and Affordability while Livability.com named Manhattan the #1 College Town in America in 2018. K-State Athletics is also a proud member of the Big 12 Conference.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's Degree by employment start date in higher education, academic advising or field related to education and/or intercollegiate athletics
• Minimum of 2 years of experience successfully working in higher education academic advising for culturally diverse student populations
• Two or more years of experience in academic advising for NCAA Division I student-athletes
• Experience working with at-risk student-athlete population
• Experience with NCAA initial eligibility requirements/evaluations
• Experience with international student admissions
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Basic knowledge of NCAA academic requirements and legislation;
• Ability to manage sensitive confidential material and information as required by NCAA, Big 12, State of Kansas, Kansas State University and K-State Athletics policy/regulations;
• Ability to work with campus student information systems;
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, grammatical and writing skills;
• Excellent computer skills; ability to maintain accurate academic reports and electronic files;
• Be able to perform job duties with minimal supervision;
• Possess a valid driver's license at all times;
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
This position holds expectations of compliance with all NCAA, Big 12 Conference, Kansas State University and K-State Athletics, Inc. rules and regulations.
How to Apply:
To be considered for the position, please complete the online application and submit/upload the following documents:
• Cover letter indicating your qualifications for the position
• Resume with three professional references that includes contact information (name, title, phone number and email address)
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled
• Excellent medical, dental and vision health plans
• Retirement plan
• Generous earned leave plan - vacation and sick
• Parental leave plan
• Employer paid term life insurance
• Employer paid accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Employer paid long term disability insurance
• Paid KSU designated holidays
K-State Athletics Local Agency Employee Benefits Information: https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/2020/3/6/athletics-human-resources.aspx?path=resources
Salary Rate / Pay Rate:
$45,000 to $50,000
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee. If position is in development, business office or ticket office, the background screen will include a credit check.
Advertised: Apr 18, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3016140