Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION
Functional Title: Agent, Extension Specialist – Forest Management
Position Number: 103582
Category Status: Faculty Tenure Track, Full-Time, 12-month, 100% Extension.
Unit: AGNR-UME State Wide
Location: Western Maryland Research and Education Center, Keedysville, MD
Description: The Forest Management Specialist serves statewide and provides leadership for educational program development, delivery, and evaluation on a variety of forestry and natural resources topics for stakeholders such as woodland owners, professional natural resource managers, policymakers, conservation groups, and others. Topics may include but aren’t limited to forest and timber management, small acreage forest management alternatives, forest taxation, reforestation, sustainable forestry practices, invasive species, forest water quality and quantity issues, collaborative natural resource management, forest restoration, and biomass and bioenergy. The Specialist will facilitate partnerships with university colleagues, local, state and federal agencies, elected officials, environmental consultants, professional groups, and landowners and environmental groups to develop educational products and programs concerning forestry management practices, resources, and assessment/management tools.
The Specialist will be part of College of Agriculture & Natural Resources (AGNR) and University of Maryland Extension (UME), and work closely with the Environment and Natural Resource team, as well as provide leadership for forest management related programs within the Environmental and Natural Resource Programming Area, one of four UME strategic programming areas. It is the responsibility of the Specialist to be self-motivated and work intentionally and collaboratively with partners to increase the visibility and reach of Extension Forestry programs that are specifically designed to meet the needs of diverse audiences. The Specialist will work with campus and other agency researchers to interpret and disseminate the latest findings using a variety of delivery and communication strategies appropriate for the intended target audience, including but not limited to workshops, classes, demonstration projects, webcasts, social media, publications, mass media and community coalitions. The faculty member will be on track for tenure and promotion to a higher rank in accordance with University policy and UME tenure guidelines within a timeframe defined.
The Specialist will report to the Assistant Director and Program Leader of the Environmental and Natural Resource Program.
· Possess the credentials which allow for faculty member's application to become a MD licensed forester.
· Evidence of capacity to build UME Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Respect capacity through Extension program model.
· This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check and University of Maryland Background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
· PhD preferred.
· Demonstrated experience in Extension, outreach or service related to forest management.
· Demonstrated ability in garnering grants and private funding to enhance research and outreach programming.
· Evidence of scholarship in applied research, Extension and/or outreach.
· Experience working with diverse audiences at all socioeconomic levels and demographic backgrounds.
Physical Demands of the Position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• This position frequently presents information through vocal and written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds.
• A routine part of this position's responsibilities would be to transport materials to and from teaching/event locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. The employee will frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 30 pounds. Set-up and tear-down of displays, tables, and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
• Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline driven in terms of program planning and reporting. This position requires the employee to work outdoors at programs and events. This may occur during very hot and/or inclement weather.
• Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience: Master’s Base starting at: $56,706, PhD’s Base starting at: $67,725; The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. For more information regarding employee benefits visit: https://uhr.umd.edu/benefits/
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume or CV, copies of transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: Position will remain open until suitable candidate has been identified.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.