Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ISU is seeking an experienced beef feedlot and field agriculture research manager to oversee and coordinate the extensive operations of the ISU Armstrong and Neely-Kinyon Research Farms, Lewis and Greenfield, IA, respectively, the principal agriculture research sites in southwest Iowa. The Armstrong Research Farm has beef feedlots and facilities for 230 head of cattle in 8 pens and 8 automated electronic feed bunks to capture individual feed intake data plus cattle handling facilities.
Duties of the Armstrong and Neely-Kinyon Research Farms superintendent include supervising 2 full-time ISU employees and several part-time employees; managing a 560 acres in 2 counties, plus buildings and machinery with a $600,000 budget; overseeing 50 field research projects led by 25 project leaders; hosting multiple field days and 1,500 visitors annually; and representing ISU to the local agriculture research association.
The successful candidate must be able to work with researchers, supervise their field projects, and manage the research beef feedlots. Reliance on electronic systems for data collection is growing and critical for this position. In addition, the ideal candidate has the ability to communicate and present information both orally and in writing; use computers for record keeping and communication; and complete diverse and multiple tasks in a timely fashion.
Please note that this position will be located in Lewis, IA.
Example of Duties
• Supervises staff in an agricultural operation and oversees volunteers and visitors.
• Manages budget, equipment, supplies, machinery, grounds, etc.
• Plans, monitors, and schedules activities for care of agricultural operations.
• Oversees maintenance of facilities, property, and equipment.
• Develops plans and determines priorities.
• May perform any duties of the agricultural specialists.
• Aware of key annual objectives of department or work unit
• Understands linkage between daily activities and achievement of annual objectives of department/work unit and explains to direct reports
• Focus on ISU’s mission and meeting department or work unit goals
• Supervises a small department or work team
• Often is a working supervisor with direct, previous experience performing work of those supervised
• Has full management responsibility for direct reports, specifically the authority to hire, fire, and counsel; may share part of responsibility with higher level management
• Requests approval for financial actions beyond a limited scope per policy