Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the US, Canada, and Mexico, is seeking an associate to process accounts payable and provide administrative and other support to its Office of Finance. The incumbent will perform a broad array of tasks to ensure effective office operations, including coordinating accounts payable, reviewing expense report reconciliations, reconciling accounts, and providing other support to ensure the efficient operations of the Finance Office. This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to learn about and support the effective operations of a dynamic non-profit team. The successful candidate will have strong analytic and writing skills, be detail-oriented, and be well-suited to work in a fast-paced environment. This full-time position is in Washington, DC. The incumbent must reside in DC, MD, or VA and pass standard background checks. The Accounts Payable & Finance Associate is eligible for a hybrid work schedule. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a membership organization that fosters a community of university leaders collectively working to advance the mission of public research universities. The association’s membership consists of more than 250 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations spanning across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, four US territories, Canada, and Mexico. APLU and its members collectively focus on increasing access, equity, completion, and workforce readiness; promoting pathbreaking scientific research; and bolstering economic and community engagement. Drawing on its members’ powerful collective action, APLU’s advocacy arm helps shape federal policy that maximizes the positive impact of public and land-grant universities. Annually, member campuses enroll 5.4 million undergraduates and 1.4 million graduate students, award 1.5 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $51 billion in university-based research.
• Coordinate the accounts payable process, ensuring payment requests are fulfilled in a timely manner, expenses are properly coded, and all APLU and grant guidelines are followed. Monitor APLU bills and ensure they are paid on time.
• Monitor the bank account for automatic deductions and record them in the Great Plains accounting system.
• Coordinate the expense report reconciliation process, including reviewing staff reconciliations for accuracy and adherence to APLU/grant policy.
• Update and distribute monthly department and grant reports and respond to department inquiries on the reports.
• Assist with the preparation of assigned audit schedules and compile supporting documents for samples selected for testing during the annual audit process.
• Cross-train to support other accounting functions as needed.
• Provide general administrative support to the CFO and the Office of Finance, recording journal entries in Great Plains, updating the APLU database, etc.
• Participate as an integral member of the Finance Team and APLU employee, and contribute to an inclusive, welcoming, and collegial workplace.
• Perform other duties as requested.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related field or a minimum of one year’s professional work experience in an office setting performing similar functions. Experience working in a finance department, preferably within a university, non-profit, or audit firm setting, is a plus.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, which must be effective and courteous. Ability to interact and build a rapport with various internal and external stakeholders and establish effective working relationships with employees from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of APLU and its members.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities, identify problems, meet deadlines, and bring any issues to the attention of the appropriate team members.
• The ability to maintain poise, professionalism, focus, consistency, and accuracy under pressure.
• Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
• Experience with Office365 highly preferred, including Excel and SharePoint. Comfort developing and manipulating spreadsheets required.
• Ability to conduct and participate in virtual meetings, especially via Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
• Commitment to the work of APLU and its values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Ability to travel domestically as needed.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line: Finance Associate. Preference will be given to applications submitted by November 5, 2023. APLU is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and supports staff with a generous benefits package.