The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Associate to support the organization’s life-cycle HR function with a focus on recruitment and orientation for new employees, administering benefits and supporting staff appreciation activities. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess extraordinary interpersonal skills, have a keen attention to detail, and demonstrate a passion for contributing to APLU being an employer of choice. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC. The incumbent must reside in DC, MD, or VA, be up-to-date with their COVID vaccinations, and pass standard background checks. The incumbent is eligible for a hybrid work schedule. For more information, consult www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of more than 251 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU’s agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll 5.4 million undergraduates and 1.4 million graduate students, award 1.5 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $51 billion in university-based research.
The HR Associate will provide administrative support to APLU’s life-cycle HR function which includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Support recruitment activities including, posting position announcements, reviewing applications, scheduling interviews, conducting background checks, etc., to ensure the recruitment process is conducted professionally and in compliance with APLU policies and procedures.
- Assist with benefits administration, including updating employee enrollments, ensuring enrollments are accurately reflected in the HRIS (Human Resources Information System), and reconciling invoices monthly.
- Coordinate the onboarding of new employees, ensuring new hire paperwork is completed and new employees feel welcome and prepared for their work at APLU.
- Coordinate in-person and virtual staff appreciation activities such as new employee welcomes, annual holiday party, volunteer events, etc.
- Manage the HR email accounts and calendars, ensuring that emails are responded to promptly and professionally.
- Prepare and circulate monthly administrative updates (e.g., telephone list, calendar, etc.).
- Create and maintain employee files to ensure they are organized, complete and up to date.
- Maintain the highest standard of confidentiality with employee records and information.
- Provide general administrative support to the HR office and APLU as requested.
- Participate as an integral member of the HR Team and APLU, and contribute to an inclusive, welcoming, and collegial workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned to help ensure an effective HR function at APLU.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional administrative support experience. Work experience in human resources a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to navigate relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization and contribute to an inclusive, welcoming, and collegial workplace.
- Outstanding communication skills, which must be effective and courteous. Excellent writing skills required.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines at once. Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment related to providing support and assistance.
- Excellent organizational skills and a keen attention to detail are required.
- Utilizes Discretion in maintaining a high level of confidentiality when handling sensitive information is essential.
- Experience and comfort planning events and facilitating team building activities with diverse groups of participants a plus.
- Highly skilled in the use of Office365 (including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). HRIS and/or database experience preferred. Willingness to learn new technologies as needed.
- Passion for the APLU mission and contributing to APLU being an employer of choice.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with “HR Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, with preference given to those received by Friday, February 28, 2023. APLU is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and supports staff with a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Join the Conversation