Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archaeological Collections Manager and NAGPRA Coordinator
Department: 3670020250 Sociology Anthropology & SocWk
Job no: 512968
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Term)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Research / Scientific / Grants, Natural / Quantitative Sciences, Social / Behavioral Sciences
Pay Grade: 09A
About This Role:
Kansas State University (K-State) in Manhattan, KS, seeks a qualified individual to serve as Archaeological Collections Manager and NAGPRA Coordinator in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work.
This person is responsible for the ethical stewardship of K-State's anthropological collections in a culturally and archaeologically sensitive manner. They will serve as K-State liaison for consultation with key stakeholders and complete other duties pertaining to compliance with NAGPRA.
In addition to the professional requirements listed below, the person hired to fill this position must be culturally aware, a good listener with excellent verbal and written communication skills that effectively employ tact and discretion with sensitive matters, highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy, and have a strong work ethic and positive attitude.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Master's degree in Anthropology, Museum's Studies or related discipline with emphasis in Archaeology from an accredited university
• One year relevant experience
• PhD in Anthropology with a specialization in Archaeology from an accredited university.
• Experience with NAGPRA compliance, tribal consultation, and working with descendent communities
• Demonstrated knowledge of archaeological collections and field, laboratory, and analytical methods and terminology
• Experience with collections care and management in a museum, academic or other research environment informed by museum standards and Indigenous perspectives
• Comfort with physically handling ancestral remains, funerary objects and objects of cultural patrimony for purposes of proper care and custody and in a culturally sensitive manner
• Demonstrated ability to perform work to quality and ethnical standards while working independently and with a variety of individuals, groups, and organizations
• Knowledge of North American archaeology
• Familiarity with tribal nations of the Central Plains-Midwest
• Able to evaluate and synthesize multiple lines of different kinds of information
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
• Ability to lift 25 pounds with or without accommodation
• Utilize ladders to reach shelves up to 15 feet in height
• This position is required to work on-site
• Occasional travel may be required for consultation and related issues
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents in ONE pdf file:
• Cover letter highlighting qualifications as outlined above
• Professional vita
• A 1-2 page statement describing your approach to NAGPRA and archaeological collections management in a university setting
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by May 25, 2022
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$50,500 - $69,350
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: May 03, 2022
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3051859