Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department: 3670010040 Agronomy
Job no: 511413
Employment type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified - Regular)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Agriculture, Research / Scientific / Grants, Natural / Quantitative Sciences, Animal Sciences / Livestock, Agronomy
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
This position provides vital data and information to the public, private companies, and governmental agencies including: media requests, climate reports to NOAA, regional climate centers, and meteorological data to support the Kansas Department of Agriculture drift claims and the USDA Farm Service Agency livestock indemnity program claims and other applications.
The successful candidate will:
• Participate in outreach activities to various interest groups, such as K-12 programs, extension events, newsletters, farm profit seminars, agricultural groups, and numerous other entities.
• Collaborate with the Kansas Mesonet manager on data requests, presentations, outreach activities, data collection, staff coordination, product development and dissemination.
• Collaborate with the State Climatologist on the preparation of the Annual report for the American Association of State Climatologists (AASC), support the development of products for the Kansas Climate web page, and assist with activities of the State Climate Office.
• Provide summary reports on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis for drought impacts and declarations.
• Perform data quality checks and build large meteorological datasets required for research, extension and teaching activities at K-State and other institutions.
• Foster collaborations with individuals from the AASC, USDA Climate Hubs, and NOAA Regional Climate Centers.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Bachelor's degree in Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Sciences or related field.
• Four years related professional experience.
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience with scientific data formats, data processing, weather instrumentation and monitoring networks.
• Ability to understand and address weather- and climate-related needs of diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated competence in building relationships and working effectively with individuals, groups, colleagues, and the ability to develop and lead partnerships and collaborations
• Strong commitment to expanding and fostering diversity.
• Master's degree in Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Sciences or related field.
• Experience analyzing meteorological and climatological datasets.
• Experience with weather products applied to agriculture.
• Demonstrate experience in a supervisory role.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
• Letter of Interest
• Resume or CV
• Contact information of three professional references
Review of Applications Begins:
Immediately. For best consideration, apply by September 24, 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Sep 09, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled