Title: Assistant Director, Grants Management & Finance
Department: Office of Finance
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Starting Annual Salary: $85,000 to $95,000, commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed as received, with preference given to those received by July 17, 2020.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) seeks an Assistant Director, Grants Management & Finance to manage the administration of all APLU federal and foundation grants and assist the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with the financial management of the organization. The incumbent will work closely with the program implementation team and be responsible for overall grant compliance, reporting and invoicing as well as providing grant administration and budget management support to program staff. In addition, the Assistant Director will work closely with the CFO to implement and support finance and accounting procedures and polices across the organization. The successful candidate will have at least six years of experience managing grants in a university or non-profit setting, possess excellent accounting skills, have a keen attention to detail and have a strong understanding and/or interest in higher education issues. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC. For more information: www.aplu.org.
APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. With a membership of 242 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations, APLU's agenda is built on the three pillars of increasing degree completion and academic success, advancing scientific research, and expanding engagement. Annually, member campuses enroll five million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $49.3 billion in university-based research.
The responsibilities of the Assistant Director, Grant Management & Finance will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Grant Administration and Compliance
- Provide oversight to ensure compliance with all APLU grants and grant specific requirements, serving as APLU’s expert on individual grant requirements and regulations and developing systems and processes to ensure that APLU is in full compliance. Submit all grant financial reports on time in the appropriate template. Complete SF- 425 Federal Financial Reports at the end of each fiscal year.
- Develop and implement training for all APLU grant-funded grants on grant compliance.
- Develop and implement strategies and processes to ensure an effective and efficient grant administration process for the APLU that monitors project success, budget expenditures, compliance, etc.
- Work with Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable to ensure that subawards and vendor payments are accurate, timely, and coded correctly and that all grants invoices are recorded into the general ledger. Invoice all federal and foundation grants according to the agreed-upon schedule. Create general ledgers and invoices for each grant according to the disbursement schedule.
- Regularly monitor and update staffing matrix showing percentages of staff time committed to each grant, in compliance with funder restrictions. Prepare monthly, quarterly and YTD reports detailing staff funding sources and duration. Review staff timesheets each payroll cycle to ensure staff charges to grants are correct.
- Establish and maintain APLU’s official file for each grant.
- Manage and monitor all subawards, in collaboration with program staff, to ensure grant compliance. Identify any concerns/issues and recommend actions to resolve them.
- Ensure APLU’s CRM is regularly updated with all grant information and reports. Maintain an organized database of active grants and pending proposals.
- Manage the procurement process in collaboration with program staff.
- Provide regular support to program staff in grant implementation, including reporting, budget review, timesheet allocation, etc. Monitor and control grant budgets to ensure that funds are spent according to project schedules and that staff are adhering to budget limits.
- Work with program staff to develop and review budgets for new grant applications. Cost-out activities by obtaining accurate estimates from program staff and vendors; manage RFQ processes when needed.
- Ensure that APLU adheres to the highest ethical standards by maintaining accuracy, transparency, and accountability for all grants. Bring any concerns immediately to the CFO, President, HR Director, or other appropriate individual.
Finance and Accounting
- Annually negotiate APLU’s overhead rate with the federal government. Provide all necessary reporting requirements related to this process.
- Ensure that indirect costs are appropriately calculated, according to negotiated overhead rates and restrictions.
- Ensure the Finance Policy Manual is updated with respect to any grant requirements.
- Work with auditors to complete annual audits and resolve issues that may arise related to grants and other assigned schedules
- Complete assigned General Ledger reconciliations monthly.
- Prepare graphs, reports and presentations for the CFO, President, and Board of Directors as needed.
- Provide monthly reporting and analysis for assigned offices.
- Review assigned American Express charges monthly for appropriate backup.
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- At least 6-8 years of experience managing grants in a university or non-profit setting.
- Excellent financial management and accounting skills, including developing and monitoring budgets.
- Superior presentation, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to strategize financial and budgeting issues.
- Knowledge of federal grant reporting requirements and regulations.
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and produce quality results.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, establish priorities and exercise sound judgment in response to complex and sensitive situations. Problem solver that seeks out solutions and new issues that may arise.
- High ethical standards for self and colleagues.
- Knowledge of Paycom Payroll system and Great Plains and Management Reporter software a plus.
- Strong commitment to furthering the work of public universities.
- Ability to travel domestically as needed.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Dynamics 365 (CRM), Zoom and Teams
Please send a cover letter and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line: Assistant Director, Grants Management & Accountant. Applications will be reviewed as received, with preference given to those received by July 17, 2020.
APLU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting, employing, training, compensating and promoting staff regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Read more about APLU’s Commitment to Diversity here.