Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose: Under the direction of the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator, the Assistant Financial & Operations Manager is responsible for many aspects of the day-to-day oversight of the financial and operational actions of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension, and supervision of staff within the unit to successfully accomplish the responsibilities of this position.
Working with the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator, this position coordinates general accounting processes, and is responsible for management of Federal capacity funds, external funds, and UMaine educational and general funds including the Maine Economic Improvement Fund. This position addresses special accounting-related needs such as audits and special projects, and will produce, manage, and oversee Cooperative Extension budgets, track expenditures, manage revenue, manage gift accounts, oversee payroll distributions, reconcile accounts, and produce periodic reports to clearly inform the administration of Cooperative Extension of the financial status and trends of Extension finances.
The Assistant Financial & Operations Manager will also oversee Cooperative Extension operations including management of the Cooperative Extension vehicle fleet, coordination of performance agreements, oversight of procurement within UMaine System’s MarketPlace system, and oversight of the financial components of travel within UMaine System’s CONCUR system.
The Assistant Financial & Operations Manager will supervise professional staff with general duties related to procurement, budgeting, revenue generation, fund management and accounting, and who will assist with in the overall work of Cooperative Extension finance and operations unit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work with the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator to provide oversight for the financial actions of Cooperative Extension in a manner that enhances the sustainability of Extension.
· Work with the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator to manage Federal capacity funding acquisition, administration, and reporting in a manner that meets compliance guidelines. In partnership with the University of Maine System track and report on all Federal capacity funding to Cooperative Extension.
· Work with the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator to produce and manage a balanced base budget including budget preparation, position management, cash flow, tracking and approving expenditures, managing project accounts, and producing periodic reports.
· Manage day-to-day financial operations of Cooperative Extension including payables, receivables, purchasing, gifts, and resource allocation in a manner that is consistent with good accounting practices and UMaine System administrative practice letters.
· Efficiently manage performance and licensing contracts to meet review standards of the UMaine System General Council and/or the UMaine System Risk Management office.
· In partnership with the Office of Business and Budget Services allocate and report on all Education and General funding from the University of Maine.
· In partnership with the Office of the Vice President for Research, track and report on all Maine Economic Improvement Funds allocated to Cooperative Extension.
· Oversee payroll, accounts payable, travel reimbursement functions, and Extension’s fleet of vehicles.
· Work with Extension staff members to provide guidance in their efforts to secure and manage external funding through appropriate UMaine offices that administer grants, gifts, revenue, and industry-sponsored projects. Maintain a supportive relationship with, and working knowledge of processes and policies of, the UMaine Office of Research Administration, the UMaine Department of Industrial Cooperation, the UMaine Foundation, and others as necessary.
· Provide training and support to Cooperative Extension staff on the use of the PeopleSoft financial management system.
· Track County–reimbursable expenses in a manner that is consistent with Extension policies; produce semi-annual invoices for County Executive Committee’s payment of support-staff wages, benefits, and other appropriate expenses.
· Generate and reconcile payroll distribution changes, cost transfers, and journal transfers; reconcile all funds general journal transactions, interdepartmental orders and other transfers & charges.
· Approve selected MarketPlace payables as a function of budgets.
· Work with the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator to develop, format, and generate financial and human resource reports within PeopleSoft, and FileMaker databases, and other formats as necessary
· Oversee, monitor and manage the Time and Effort reporting of Cooperative Extension employees to the ORA.
· Support Cooperative Extension financial reporting to USDA, UMaine, and others as necessary with information relevant to organizational financial commitments, multi-state and integrated projects.
· Provide financial data for the creation of County Report Templates.
· Produce periodic financial reports for the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator, the Dean of Extension, and the Extension Leadership Team as needed.
· Oversee year-end and interim year-end accounting for the University and Federal fiscal year end.
· Work with appropriate UMaine and UMaine System entities in information requests related to audits.
· Build productive working relationships with both internal and external co-workers/colleagues and external contacts/clients to achieve work goals
· Develop and maintain professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
· Provide back-up for the Assistant Director and Financial Administrator.
· Supervise professional and administrative clerical staff members with responsibility for grants management, payables, receivables, travel reimbursement and financial personnel allocations.
Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned
Knowledge & Skill Qualifications
Work Environment: This professional will be based in an office on the UMaine Orono campus in Libby Hall.
Work Year: Full-time, fiscal-year
Work Schedule: Normal UMaine Extension hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. This position may require some evening and/or weekend work and occasional travel in and out of state. The employee will establish regular office hours, and in consultation with the supervisor, the individual will adjust work schedule in order to meet the requirements of the position.
Position Type: Contingent on funding and successful job performance.
Schedule for Evaluation: 6-month probationary period. Evaluation in the initial six months of employment then annually thereafter in accordance with UMPSA Agreement.