Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant Professor (Design Architectural History)
Department: 3670015020 Architecture
Job no: 511750
Employment type: Academic / Faculty - 9 month
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Architecture / Construction
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
Design | Architectural History
The Department of Architecture at Kansas State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position beginning August 2022. The appointment will be at the rank of assistant professor and salary will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications. The successful candidate will teach two courses per semester - an architectural design studio and either a required lecture in architectural history or an elective seminar.
The successful candidate will demonstrate interest and ability to teach architectural design studios across the curriculum. Entry-level studios require the ability to teach fundamental design skills, including spatial and formal composition, graphics, and modeling techniques, while upper-level studios require the ability to teach the design and technical skills necessary to resolve and document architectural intent from the urban scale to the detail.
The successful candidate will further demonstrate interest and ability to develop and teach one of the two required lecture courses in our "History of the Designed Environment" course sequence - HDE I (up to the mid-18th century) or HDE II (mid-18th century to the present) - with a current need in HDE I. The department is currently redeveloping this course sequence, and the successful candidate will have a role in shaping its outcome. Candidates whose work examines the intersections of architectural history/theory and practice (through critical histories of the discipline, experience in preservation and adaptive reuse, among other possibilities) are especially encouraged to apply. In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate interest and ability to develop and teach an elective seminar in their area of expertise and will pursue a scholarly agenda related to this expertise.
Why Join Us:
The Department of Architecture at Kansas State University is a nationally recognized program offering a professional Master of Architecture and post-professional Master of Science in Architecture. Departmental faculty may also participate in a College-wide interdisciplinary PhD in Environmental Design and Planning. The department sponsors studios at the Kansas City Design Center in Kansas City, Missouri, and has a long-standing curricular partnership with the Department of Architecture, Urban Planning and Design at the University of Missouri/Kansas City. The department is located at K-State's main campus in Manhattan, KS, in the heart of the scenic Flint Hills region 120 miles west of Kansas City, MO. To learn more about the Department of Architecture and our programs, please visit our website at http://apdesign.k-state.edu/arch/.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
• Terminal professional degree in Architecture (MArch or equivalent).
• Professional practice experience in architecture.
• Interest and ability to teach architectural design studios across the curriculum.
• Interest and ability to develop and teach one of the two required lecture courses in our "History of the Designed Environment" course sequence.
• Interest and ability to develop and teach an elective seminar in their area of expertise.
• Interest and ability to develop a scholarly/creative agenda related to their area of expertise.
• PhD emphasizing Architectural History.
• Architectural license.
• Excellence in teaching architectural design studios and the capability of serving in a design studio leadership role.
• Strong record of scholarship in their area of expertise.
• Record of academic and professional service.
• All K-State employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (unless granted an exemption by the university) by December 8, 2021 or their first day of employment, whichever is later, pursuant to the federal executive order for federal contractors. To learn more about this requirement and potential exemptions, please visit K-State's COVID-19 https://www.k-state.edu/covid-19/vaccine/requirement/.
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please upload a letter of interest addressing qualifications, a curriculum vitae, a list of three academic and/or professional references with full contact information, and a portfolio documenting academic and/or professional experience. Direct all inquiries to Professor Matt Knox, Architecture Department Head, (785) 532-5953 or mailto:email@example.com.
Review of Applications Begins:
Review of candidates will begin January 24, 2022, and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Nov 08, 2021
Application Closes: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2624953