Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Dakota State University (SDSU) Office of International Affairs is offering an exciting career opportunity as Assistant Director of Education Abroad. We are looking for a creative and innovative professional to join us in January 2022. This is a 12 month, full-time, benefit eligible position. This position is supervised by the Director of Education Abroad.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Assistant Director for Education Abroad will serve as the primary advisor for students participating in Education Abroad programs, play a leadership role in marketing efforts, direct Global Ambassadors in marketing these programs, and support the Director in the development, promotion, operations, and assessment of Education Abroad programs at the University.
- Master’s Degree completed by first day of employment;
- Minimum of three years of experience working in a higher education setting as an advisor or a recruiter;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as a contributing team member;
- Ability to motivate students to participate in Education Abroad and related activities;
- Demonstrated use of technology in managing or delivering educational programs;
- Demonstrated ability or potential to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate educational materials and direct effective programs;
- Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire, and willingness to travel.
- Experience participating in or leading education abroad programs;
- Experience working with faculty leading education abroad programs;
- Experience traveling internationally and managing logistics abroad;
- Demonstrated experience with common SDBOR-related databases, including Banner;
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to utilize Terra Dotta (TD) or similar software;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in marketing, using design platforms (InDesign, Canva), and communication strategies for education abroad programs;
- Demonstrated experience advising/presenting to undergraduate students with education abroad credits earned abroad and processed at the home University;
- Experience with education abroad providers, vendors, and exchange partners;
- Experience with crisis management and working with agencies such as the US Dept. of State, OSAC, The Forum, and NAFSA;
- Demonstrated leadership in developing, leading, creating events or programming aimed at student populations.
Commensurate with qualifications.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
UNIVERSITY AND THE BROOKINGS COMMUNITY:
South Dakota State University is the state's largest, most comprehensive university with more than 200 programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as an NCAA Division I member with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 60 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center, and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by January 25, 2022.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this job.” This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
For questions on the position, contact Greg Wymer at 605-688-4482 or Greg.Wymer@sdstate.edu.
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identification, transgender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status that may become protected under law against discrimination in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.