Job Postings enable you to post your own job and find other job listings offered by APLU members. This service is free for APLU members. For more information, email email@example.com.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
JOINT INSTITUTE FOR FOOD SAFETY AND APPLIED NUTRITION (JIFSAN)
COLLEGE PARK, MARYLAND
Title: Assistant Research Scientist
Position Number: 123118
Category Status: Faculty, Non-tenured, continuing and term contract, 1.0 FTE
Unit: Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
JIFSAN, a joint program of the University of Maryland and the U.S. FDA, is seeking an Assistant Research Scientist to collaborate with CFSAN FDA Scientists to support the regulatory research program involving select agents and toxins. The scientist will test and evaluate different in vitro methods, and also neuromuscular junction (NMJ) models, endpoint readouts for, i) detecting and identifying or quantitating botulinum neurotoxins in food or drug products, and ii) study the efficacy or safety of medical countermeasure products such as antitoxins, botulinum toxoids, etc.
• Conduct focused laboratory experiments, troubleshoot, collect data, analyze results, and coordinate to work with the team scientists to fulfill the specific objectives of the research project(s).
• Document experimental data and maintain laboratory/inventory records; review scientific literature; draft experimental protocols, scientific reports, and manuscripts for publication.
• Support routine laboratory maintenance and operations including, but not limited to: maintaining cell lines, critical reagents, and laboratory equipment, vendor procurement, and service contracts.
• Present data in scientific meetings and travel to attend scientific conferences and workshops when necessary.
• Ph.D. in Biology, Biological Sciences, Biomedical Engineering or related disciplines appropriate to the position with coursework in cell biology and biochemistry.
• Possesses a minimum of five years post-doctoral laboratory experience in relevant research topics in the field of neuroscience, neuropharmacology, or NMJ (neuromuscular junction) physiology, etc.
• Demonstrated knowledge, hands-on experience, and troubleshooting skills in mammalian cell culture techniques, sample processing and throughput analysis, immunoenrichment, protein purification methods, and plate readers.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with immunofluorescence and imaging methods using fluorescence and confocal microscopes, performing electrophysiological recordings to characterize membrane excitability in neuron or other cells, analyzing recorded data, and applying appropriate statistical methods, etc.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/95891 . A complete application packet includes a cover letter, CV, unofficial academic transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate
against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry
or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women
are encouraged to apply.